• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Why reinvent the wheel. Focuser.

Started by Mac, Apr 30, 2011, 17:18:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Now i have a few spare moments, im going back to look at my old focuser project.

I managed to get everything working before, and was toying with an ascom compatable driver,
but why reinvent the wheel.

I've just had a look at the robofocus page, and they provide free of charge their driver software for their focuser, www.homedome.com
they also provide a nice detailed document of how and what the commands do. http://www.robofocus.com/documents/robofocusins31.pdf

So rather then building another interface, im just going to rewrite the pic software to take advantage of the serial commands and to act upon them.

I cant see there being any copyright problems as they clearly state in their introduction that the software is open source.

QuoteThe RoboFocus is a remote focus driver to be installed on your existing focus mechanism. RoboFocus provides digital control and feedback of the focus position using a stepping motor controlled by a microprocessor. The user sends commands from his computer to the RoboFocus to move the focus, and receives back digital position information. RoboFocus can also be used to control four remote 120VAC power outlets using the optional Remote Power Module. The software to control the RoboFocus provides a graphical interface, and is open source VB operating under Windows. It includes full ASCOM scripting capability. The user may also write code to control the focuser.

watch this space.

Mac.

The Thing

Have a look at Rocket Poochs focuser thread he beat you to it! Chris has built one and written the software so he may be able to help.

Quote from: Rocket Pooch focuser topic on Apr 16, 2011, 16:06:38