• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81+M82 - sort of

Started by mickw, Apr 26, 2011, 15:57:51

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Got my ounces mixed up with my pounds last light and did 16x6mins - hopelessly overexposed - guiding not too shabby though
Anyway this is the best I can wring out of the stuff that wasn't burnt out.
Still at least it shows the setup works

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Very good Mick, guiding indeed not shabby!! You are like a terrier with a bone now, no stopping you!

Not sure why 6mins would be overexposed, were they 800 ISO? Canon subs do come up pink & you can hardly see what is on there, they are so light, but it gets sorted when stacked & opened in PS, so don't throw any away
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Well done Mick.  I agree with Fay about the exposure length and appearance of the subs when you first do them.

Carole

The Thing

Hi Mick,

This is looking good, about as good as I've been getting.

You can tell if a sub is well exposed by looking at the histogram (APT has one). If the main lump is in the middle somewhere you are doing OK I think (that's what I aim for). As long as the lump is not at either end you aren't losing anything. That's my technical take on exposures! And I think the ladies are right, in London, pink and washed out is in! (for subs anyway).

mickw

Thanks, but anything good was down to luck - this is what I started with
16x6min subs at 800 asa

I managed to ignore the histgram and the fact that the "preview" was bunt out

mickw

OK, brain now functioning and beer free.
All the clues were there - very light preview and a misinterpreted histogram.
The histogram was showing the peaks smack in the centre - unfortunately the centre of the right hand column, I assumed each column was for a seperate exposure (only available in LiveView  :roll:), that assumption was obviously wrong.

I thinks it's time to get a decent image and stop making dumb mistakes - I may possibly have just killed the fine weather  :oops:

And ladies, there was no pink - blokes don't do PINK  :lol:

Mac

can you post a raw sub please.
or a link to one.
Mac.

mickw

Picassa rejects Raw files and I don't think the gallery would survive a 13 meg file either.

Could try emailing one ?

Rick

If it's not a displayable image (gif, jpg or png) then the gallery should cope with it. Robert managed to upload a 17MB tiff, and the limit's set a bit higher than that, but I expect the actual limit may depend on the server. The gallery should accept .raw files. Just make sure you stick it in the Raw data files bit...

mickw

No it doesn't like .CR2 files - "Forbidden File Extension"

Converted to RAW in Irfanview - hope it works and I hope I've put the right link below

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-1104.html

mickw

Doesn't appear to be working

JohnP

Image looks good to me. Colour & detail showing well. Guiding still needs tightening up a bit but getting there. Well done - John.

Fay

Conversion Should work ok with Irfanview
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Thanks John but I think I could have done a lot better with better capture.

Fay, it looks like it's OK but I don't know how to download it as a file now I've got it in the gallery

Mac

You can E-mail it if you want.

Mac.