• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Laptop screen.

Started by Mac, Apr 23, 2011, 21:44:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Here's one to get your teeth into.

As you know I run hyperos on my system which allows me to swap systems very quickly.
Here is the problem,

My astro system does not display anything on the laptop screen. (i.e. its blank)
My other system's works perfectly.

I can plug an external monitor onto my laptop and i get a display on both (all systems except the astro one)

On the astro system, I can not switch between the two screens, internal and external,
both are enabled, external screen is set to primary (cant change this anywhere as its greyed out).
even fn key & F8 which swaps the monitors dosent work, but only in the astro one.

All drivers for the graphics card and monitor have been updated,
I've rebooted in safe mode, deleted the cards and monitors, reinstalled everything, pulled out all of my hair.
swore at the PC, even thretened it with the circular saw,
but still no display on the laptop monitor.

Any ideas, dont realy want to reinstall my astro stuff again.

Mac.

mickw

If you can't get any display to work, it's possible the astro system itself is not working.
Hyperos does some weird things, perhaps the system/drive letter got corrupted during install/creation so it just assumes it doesn't exist.
Could you copy the astro system onto another partition to see if it behaves the same ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

The astro system is working fine, as is all the other systems,
the problem is the display on the laptop is not working only in the astro drive.

Plug an external monitor in and it works on that monitor.
But you cant switch between the External one and the laptop one.

Do the same for all the other systems and you get both the laptop monitor and the external monitor working and you can switch between the two or have them as a dual monitor system.

Got me puzzled at the moment.

Mac

RobertM

It's very similar to an issue that's started happening to my astro lappie.  A couple of times this week the screen has been blank when ive gone to it and only a restart will get it back.  This only started about a week or so ago and I'm sure the hardware is fine so I suspect an XP update.  It may be completely unrelated but I thought I'd share the experience anyway.

Robert

RobertM

Mac, did you figure it out ?

Mac

yes and no. :!

It started working all on its own,   :cheesy:
nothing had changed,  :!
nothing had updated,  :!
all the settings were the same,  :!

got me puzzled,
but as they say

let sleeping dogs lie.