• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Makarian's Chain - Half Finished

Started by MarkS, Apr 23, 2011, 13:48:38

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

A quick trial stack from last night's data.  As usual, modified Canon 350D on Bananascope.
36 x 5min at ISO 800

This is a crop of the 2/3 scaled image.

It needs another 3 hours of data tonight ...

I've already shot the shorter subs - with non burnt-out cores.

Mark

Whitters

You gott'a love that 'nana scope  :cheesy:

RobertM

Carole

Yes, "thats the way to do it". 

Lovely image Mark.  There's a strange red artifact (red version of Hannies Voorwerp type thingy) in a couple of places on the left side. 

Can't wait to do this in dark skies.

Carole

mickw

QuoteThere's a strange red artifact (red version of Hannies Voorwerp type thingy) in a couple of places on the left side

That would be the Hubble Watermark  :o
or hot pixels  :oops:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Mark, you should publish a book, "Mark's Astrophoto's to make you all envious". We would all buy a copy and hanker after a bananscope of our own.

BTW Another cracking image. So many galaxies the epinomous chain has become a furlong!

Carole

Quote"Mark's Astrophoto's to make you all envious".
I'd ditto that.

Carole

Ian

Quote from: The Thing on Apr 23, 2011, 18:09:21
BTW Another cracking image. So many galaxies the epinomous chain has become a furlong!

Mark's clearly in a league of his own...

MarkS

Grabbed another 4 hours of data last night - not yet processed because we have visitors. 

The sky was definitely slightly darker last night - the best I've had here since moving in - the background was darker on the subs and I could just see mag 5.5 even though I know I need new glasses (so I suspect fainter stars were visible to those with good eyesight).   Even so, it's still 20% brighter than the best I've ever measured in the Kent/Sussex area - which was one particularly stunning night at Lydd.

I'm very seriously considering doing another 4 hours on Makarian's Chain tonight ...

Mark

Fay

Going to be great Mark, hope tonights sky will improve

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Here's the version after 2 nights of data:   75 x 5min

This is a noticeable improvement, I think.

I'm continuing to shoot more subs tonight (3rd consecutive night).  This will then make it the longest total exposure I've ever done.

Mark

Carole

Mark, it was already a fabulous image, I did not think it was possible to improve on it, but you never cease to amaze.  Can't wait for the final image. 

As you can gather from the time of this post I am up too also doing more subs for Markarian chain, but no hopes of getting anything like even your first image - especially from Bromley.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I did not think it was possible to improve on it

With extra data, it's always possible to improve an image.

MarkS

Note to self:

When sigma stacking subs with slightly differing background levels - perform a background subtraction on each sub beforehand.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

Not a lot of colour there are you going to shoot shorter subs for the colour?

Chris