• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Markarian's chain 10th and 20th April

Started by Carole, Apr 22, 2011, 10:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
... was really shocked at the amount of noise in the darks at last nights temperatures, but I guess this is DSLRs. 

What time of night did you take your darks?

Carole

Hi Mark,

QuoteWhat time of night did you take your darks?

I did some before I started (while I was setting up), around 10pm ish (about 17 degrees), some in the middle of the run 11 - 12pm??  about 14 degrees, then some when I had finished -early hours about 12 degrees.

They say you should do it in this manner because of the temperature variations, though I must admit I had been taking them at the end until recently, but as the camera has started losing the connection or dropping files when I go to bed and leave it doing darks, I wanted to make sure I got sufficient while I was up and around keeping an eye on it.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I did some before I started (while I was setting up), around 10pm ish (about 17 degrees), some in the middle of the run 11 - 12pm??  about 14 degrees, then some when I had finished -early hours about 12 degrees.

When did you set up?  Was the sun still shining?  Is it possible the camera was still warm from the heat of the day?

Carole

QuoteWhen did you set up?  Was the sun still shining?
No, didn't set up until after I did the polar alignment as I find that is easier without all the weight etc

Polar aligning with the EQ6 is SO SO much easier than the CG5 GT with the lit reticle and the extra strong latitude and Altitude adjustment screws which actually move.   I am currently using the NEQ6 on the patio as I don't yet have a pier adapter for it.  

I am tempted to sell both CG5 GTs and just use the NEQ6 and take it off the pier for DSC.  
Removing the CG5 GT was something I did not want to do because of the difficulties of seeing through the polar scope, and then the adjustment screws which were VERY stiff.  

I'll see if I can copy the dark RAW subs done at the different times and temperatures and post them.

Carole