• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath M81 & M81

Started by RobertM, Apr 10, 2011, 21:31:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

The first from Kelling, very blusterey conditions for this one so stars not what they should be.

20 x 60s ISO1600 Canon 1000D on C11 Hyperstar/NJP160 unguided.  Stacked, flat fielded and DDP in MaximDL, no other processing.

Full (bin 2x2 size) http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5144/5606927531_faa976d19b_o.jpg

Robert

Fay

Well that looks good Robert, it was blowing a gale!!!!!!!(as you know) Did you not want colour?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Looks ok, but where's the colour?

Chris

RobertM

Whoops, yes I'll fix the colour.

JohnP

Well a lot of detail for 60 secs exposure - shame about the conditions though....

Mac

Jim

That's amazing for 20 mins Robert. I did 4 hrs with my 5" at F7 and did not get as much data as you. What's the speed of the C11?

RobertM

Focal ratio is f/2 and focal length 570mm.

Robert

Mac

MarkS

Robert,

It's a great shame the wind blighted this.  At F2 with the modded Canon 1000D this could have been a stunning image.

I assume you chose 60sec subs because of the wind?  At F2 I would recommend at least 150sec.  I generally use 300sec at F2.8 but F2 is twice as fast as F2.8    I then combine with shorter exposures (or exposures taken at lower ISO) to deal with the saturated areas because my 350D is only a 12 bit camera.

Mark

RobertM

I really wasn't going to post this image but with all the effort of going to Kelling I thought I just had to.

Yes Mark, 60s was because of the conditions.  If you look closely you can see the stars are all flaired in a fan shape on one side due to the wind and as a result a lot of resolution was lost.  I'll post the other image in the next few days once I've had time to process it.

Am still getting used to the kit but am nearly there, the next dark sky opportunity should hopefully see something more representative of what the system can do.

Robert

mickw

Well done Robert pretty good considering the conditions
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional