• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQMod question

Started by mickw, Apr 30, 2011, 08:13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Would I be correct assuming that if I move my mount to a new location, I would need to clear all "alignments and synchs" recently set in EQMod then start again ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

And make sure that EQmod has exactly the same observatory coordinates as Cartes de Ciel (or other planetarium). Hope your signed up to the EQmod forum, they mention these little gems regularly. If the co-ords are different your GoTos will be off (they say)

mickw

Cheers Duncan I thought that would be the case, I had it all set up correct in Starry Night but now switching to CdC.  At least I've got something to do this afternoon now  :D

Fay

I thought that as long as it was tuned to your planetarium program, re settings,  & were not going too far away, it would still be ok
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

I think the problem would be that once you moved a degree away from home and your mount is not set up exactly as it was (direction and level), if you do a synch in the new location, your whole alignment is out.  You could possibly get away with it but it's unlikely you'd ever find your target easily.
It doesn't take long to synch on a couple of fresh stars - I Unparked, slew to and synhed on polaris, then slew to and synched my way down the  plough to M81 - it took less than 10 minutes - and that was with me doing it  :o
At the end of the session I synched on Aldebaran and it was pretty damned close without tweaking.
It seems like you can align as you go - brilliant

Fay

yes it does not take long at all
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

why did you change from starry night?

Mac.

mickw

Quotewhy did you change from starry night?

Too memory hungry, the fan blows full bore most of the time despite cleaning, and most other programs crashed during a session (EQMod, PHD, SN itself, CCD Calc, APT or Nebulosity).  Doesn't seem to be happening with CdC.
All I've got on that partition is astro programs, plus I've maxed out the memory at 2 gig so I'm stuffed

Mac

Have you tried reinstalling starry night?
Only i use starry night, eqmod, Maxim, and I never have the fan running full tilt,
Mines only got 1gig.

Mac.

The Thing

Anything that draws a full resolution picture with a high frame rate e.g Stellarium (Starry Night maybe?) is going to use a lot of processor power and memory. Also I make sure I haven't got too many catalogues loaded and stars on the display, that can really slow things down whatever planetarium you are using.

CdC uses simple graphics and they only get redrawn at the refresh interval (60s I think as standard) or if you scroll about. I only need it to point the scope not show pretty pictures - I am capturing the pretty picture!

mickw

Quotenot show pretty pictures - I am capturing the pretty picture!

Ooo you saucy bugger :D

Must admit I suspect I've maxed out the prettiness in SN and have all the catalogues - I'll take a look later and uglify it a tad  ;)

It is nice to see a picture of what you're imaging though just to confirm if it's supposed to be spotty, swirly or fuzzy  :lol: