• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Sun Image

Started by JohnP, Jun 07, 2004, 21:20:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

In preparation for tomorrow's transit - Thought I'd give my new filter a try out - I also wanted to check the FOV I would get.

Image is a single frame - 50% gain, 1/1500 shutter using TouCam Pro + IRB on my Tal-2m at Prime - F/L 1200mm F8.

As you can see from the FOV I get I'll be doing a close up of the transit. I haven't had time to piggyback a smaller lens & so will be relying on Chris or others to get the wide field images.

Cheers,  John.

PS - Chris - It's not a piece of white card in front of my telescope...Honest :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: JohnP on 2004-06-07 13:43 ]

Ian

I'm a little surprised not be be able to see the limb darkening. It looks to me like the CCD is saturating. What settings did you have the camera set to?

D'oh

And now having read your post properly...

you may need to stop your telescope down further or reduce the exposure time more. Changing the gain will not help if the CCD is saturated.

[ This Message was edited by: Ian on 2004-06-07 14:29 ]

JohnP

Hi Ian,

You could be right - I didn't play with setings too much as I could hardly see my laptop screen (need to make sure I take something tomorrow to shade it)- I could speed up shutter to 1/10,000 & turn gain down to 0. I think I'm just going to have to 'wing' it tomorrow morning :smile:

Thks,  John

Mike

I was going to say myself it looks a bit devoid of features.

John, most of us take a dark blanket to put over our heads when sitting at the laptop - you look like a plonker but it works OK.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

to be fair to the blanket, most of us look like plonkers anyway :razz:

JohnP

I'll take an anorak - it fits in better with the 'astronomer' image - at least my wife thinks so....

Ian

and tartan patterned thermos?

JohnP

Hi Ian,

You were dead right - I just took another few images with faster shutter & lower gain & got to see sun spots as well this time:

Cheers,  John.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnP on 2004-06-07 16:16 ]

Ian

now they are looking very crisp. Looking forward to tomorrows pics.

Rocket Pooch

Working hard John?