• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Back to M51 after too many years...

Started by Whitters, Apr 09, 2011, 07:18:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Nice work Paul, its like a different subject compared with 2001
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Whitters

Now with 4 hours and 50 minutes , the last 10 min sub was unusable :-(

Whitters

And now at last following several weeks of poor weather M51 with it's guest star

WO110 f6.5
MX916 Astronomik IRBlock
26th June 2011 - 3x 600 seconds, sum with levels and curves applied

MarkS

Fay

well done Paul, that is very nice. I must try & get it with it's "guest"

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Paul - However, you processed the last image (with the guest star) do this to the other 4hrs of data. You have processed it a lot better without being too harsh on the blacks & whites - it looks altogether a lot more natural to me. The stretch you have applied is a lot more gentle.

Great capture & nicely processed - John

RobertM

Great capture Paul, there's lots of detail showing with the 5 hour exposure.  Any thoughts on adding colour ?  I agree with John about the contrast stretch, it seems to have affected the stars a little too much - it's a subtle thing though.

Robert

Carole

Well done Paul, it looks like the SN is expanding.
I agree about the stars in the first image, but prefer the galaxy in the first one.
A combination of the galaxy in the first and stars in the 2nd would be my preference.

carole

Whitters

Thanks folks, John Yes I can see the difference, I'll have another go at the five hour one. The problem I have is I process on a laptop so the screen angle is different each time so what looks ok comes out clipped. Has anyoone got any advice on how to get round this?

The image above had levels and curves applied, tyhis destroys the photomtric accuracy. So does not applying flats, I hope to get the flats at the weekend. This image has only had levels applied.

MarkS

BTW, this supernova is easily visible through a scope, well I certainly saw it through the C11.  A good target for a a 20" Chris! 

Mark