• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Back to M51 after too many years...

Started by Whitters, Apr 09, 2011, 07:18:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Realised I had not images M51 for years. Spent most of the evening farting about getting the scope polar aligned, after an abortive go with pempro.
Had an hour spare so thought I would have a go at M51, an old favourite I know, but it has been quite a time since my last image.

Usual set up WO110 f6.5 MX916 IRBlock Astronomiks filter, seven 600second exposures. DDP in Maxim then curves and levels.

For comparison this was my last M51 image taken on 14th April 2001

Ten 20 second exposures C8 MX916

Carole

Very nice Paul.  Big step up from your one in 2001

Carole

MarkS

Paul - what an unbelievable difference between those images!  You must be really pleased.

You're going to have to re-visit all those old friends doing a proper job of acquiring multiple subs and then processing.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi Paul,

Fantastic to see the difference between the two images.

Chris

Fay

Well done Paul, I think we always revisit what we have done before
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Really nice Paul. Massive improvement.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

That's lovely.

I've just realised what your observatory reminds me of. One of those sewing boxes that opens up sideways in tiers!

Mac

RobertM

Just goes to show how things move on doesn't it.

Great image Paul, the only slight thing I would mention is that there are some sharpening artifacts around the foreground stars on M51.  Other than that it's really excellent.

Robert

Whitters

Thanks folks.
Duncan it was that which gave my brother in law the idea.

JohnP

Hi Paul, Looks very good & glad to see you making use of your dark skies & new obsy. My only comment would be that you have clipped blacks. The background is way too black.

Very nice though - John

PhilB

Interesting comparison. Very nice image
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Whitters

Another 50 minutes exposure, and another rough process, not as harsh, I'll take a look at the background, but i need more integratioins to be able to have a smooth background. and will need to be cropped.
thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Whitters

John one other problem I have is that I process my images on a laptop, and if I don't get the viewing angle of the screen right then the resulting image comes out much darker on other screens. I have just looked at the latest version on the iPad and again the background has fewer details and is much darker than what it looked like on the screen when I was processing it. I run my laptop with a calibrated screen but as I say depending on what angle I have the screen at or the angle I view the screen I get different final results on say the iPad or a CRT. Any advice?

MarkS

Looking very good now Paul.  The new image is noticeably smoother and the fainter stuff is beginning to emerge now.  The processing is also better - it has no obvious sharpening artifacts.

To make any further obvious improvement you'll need to double the total exposure time once more (or get yourself faster optics!)

There is a stunning difference between this and your first M51 in 2001.

Mark