• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M101 Luminance

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 07, 2011, 19:52:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

6x15 minute subs, flats applied, I have RGB, just thinking about processing it, but I'm well chufed with this.

Chris

M101-Luminence by chrissuddell, on Flickr

RobertM

That looks really nice Chris with plenty of detail.

JohnP

I bet you are chuffed - that looks superb & massive - the galaxy near on takes up the whole 3000 pixel frame. Tons of detail & very smooth.

Impressed - John

PhilB

Impressive. There's a fantastic amount of detail, you've every right to be chuffed.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

Very good image, that.  What focal length are you using?

It would need a large number of subs to start bringing detail to those very faint outer arms.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

I think its about 1.5 meters, I need to meausre the FR to chip distance to work it out properly.  But its an SCT so that will not be too accurate..

Chris

The Thing

Hi Chris,

If you get someone to solve the image in Maxim 5.x it will give you the size of the field of view and you can work out the focal length from that. I did it once for my set-up and with my Baader Telecompressor, DSLR at prime focus, the focal length came out to about 1250mm. I must have done the same with an image with no FR in the train and then worked out the ratio of the FoVs. I assumed that the base focal length was 2000mm, but that depends on where your mirror is in the OTA (8" SCT of course). There is probably an accurate way of using this information to work out the actual focal length for a given FoV with a DSLR at prime focus.

Duncan

Fay

Looking very nice indeed, Chris
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Apr 08, 2011, 07:49:57
Hi Mark,

I think its about 1.5 meters, I need to meausre the FR to chip distance to work it out properly.  But its an SCT so that will not be too accurate..

Chris

I can plate solve to get you the f/l in MaximDL when I get home if you like ?

Whitters

Real nice image Chris.

mickw

very nice, loads of detail in the arms

For some reason the image on the forum looks blocky and horrible, but the full size on Flikr is perfect (on this machine anyway) :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Quote from: mickw on Apr 12, 2011, 08:49:57For some reason the image on the forum looks blocky and horrible, but the full size on Flikr is perfect (on this machine anyway) :-?

Looks fine here. Is it a progressive JPEG? Maybe your machine gave up half way through?

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
For some reason the image on the forum looks blocky and horrible, but the full size on Flikr is perfect (on this machine anyway) :-?

I have the same problem at home with "blocky images".  At work it looks fine but at home it looks blocky and horrible.  I strongly suspect the reason is that, in my case, I am using mobile broadband at home (until my "proper" broadband is installed).  I bet there is some kind of "bandwidth optimiser" that doesn't download the highest resolution of a progressively encoded image.

BTW the blockiness is just as bad using either IE or Firefox browsers.

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 12, 2011, 14:21:56
BTW the blockiness is just as bad using either IE or Firefox browsers.
Weird. Makes me wonder whether the server is doing something different when it thinks it's talking to a mobile phone...

Rocket Pooch

It's not the server its bandwiidth Nazi's pn mobile devices then de-res images so all the little iPhone people don't swamp the mobile internet with images.

Look fine here, but hey I have the origional..

mickw

My laptop is hooked up to "50 meg broadband"  :roll: via gigabit ethernet and it still looks blocky on the forum but ok on flikr

MarkS

I've got my fixed broadband connection now :)

With the fixed connection I don't get blockiness.
Going back to mobile broadband I get blockiness.

Hypothesis supported ...

Mick - going back to a fixed connection, you might need to refresh the images to download the "non-blocky" version.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: mickw on Apr 12, 2011, 17:48:47
My laptop is hooked up to "50 meg broadband"  :roll: via gigabit ethernet and it still looks blocky on the forum but ok on flikr

Your browser has probably cached the low resolution version. Try refreshing the image - it worked for me.

mickw

Cleared the cache - sorted - Thanks