• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

PC start-up..........No it won't!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Tony G, Mar 30, 2011, 10:55:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,

As you can see from the subject header, I'm having a problem starting my home PC.
Initially the computer froze this morning, and would not respond to any actions not even ALT - DEL - CTRL. and so I held in the on/off button to power the machine off which worked. After about a minute I tried to restart the computer which then switched off after about 3-4 seconds and this is happening constantly. Nothing comes up on the screen as the computer does not seem to be on long enough. :!

Please help, as I am restricted to only a few websites at work, and need my home PC so I can continue to add my observations to this forum. :cheesy:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Try booting to Safe Mode
Turn on PC and hold down the F8 key.
You should have the options to boot to Safe Mode then you can do some diagnostic stuff or do a System Restore
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Hi Tony,

For some reason I am blocked from replying to PCHelp part of the forum so am posting message here:

QuoteInitially the computer froze this morning, and would not respond to any actions not even ALT - DEL - CTRL

Just for future reference it should be CTRL-ALT-DEL not ALT-DEL-CTRL - this is possibly why computer would not respond......

Mick's suggestion seems good - boot into safe mode & see what happenbs - failing that I can probably pop around & have a quick look sometime later.

John

Mike

This behaviour tends to happen when it overheats. The system automatically shuts down to save the CPU.

It is possible the fan has stopped working or the heat sealant is failing.

Does it sound different to usual when you turn it on? Quieter?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: JohnP on Mar 30, 2011, 11:23:31For some reason I am blocked from replying to PCHelp part of the forum

That should be fixed now.

Tony G

Quote from: JohnP on Mar 30, 2011, 11:23:31
Just for future reference it should be CTRL-ALT-DEL not ALT-DEL-CTRL - this is possibly why computer would not respond....

Whatever............... :!

:D I'll take the cover off when I get home and see if it maybe just a clean out of some fluff or something, saying that I haven't seen the cat for a couple of days.  ;)
I will then try your suggestion Mick.
John I might need your assistance if I do have problem, and will give you a call.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP