• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath

Started by Carole, Mar 29, 2011, 22:50:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

What days is every-one else coming?

I am there from Thursday to Tuesday. 

Carole

The Thing

Leaving Friday morning. Friday to Sunday courtesy of Mark. (Good luck with the move!)

Mike

Thursday till Sunday. Leaving early Thursday morning.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Good luck with the move!

Thanks. 
Everything is now boxed except what we need for the next 2 days.
Just waiting for the big day now ...

Delphine

We are arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday

Delphine

Sue

Roy amd me are also going up on Friday and staying until Monday. Forecast looking rather more promising for the weekend, 8/8 cloud cover as I write - hope folk already in Norfolk having better luck!

Mike

Report from Kelling- Day 1 - Thursday 31st March.

it was very windy when we arrived. Fay was already there we then set about putting first Doug's then my tent up in high winds, which was fun.

The weather forecast said cloud all nght with a possibiity of a clear patch for around an hour starting at 9pm. Well, at 9pm the clouds rolled away to reveal stars. we all legged it out of the pub back to our pitches. We then had pretty much clear sky (with the occasional thin line of cloud scooting over) till around midnight. it was a bit too windy to image but there was plenty of observing going on, with some stunning views through a dob owned by one of Julian's mates. In amongst all this we were treated to a very bright lime green fireball that lit up the field.

All in all a pretty good night.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I can just imagine the locals faces in the pub when someone rund is and says "It's clear!" and everyone scarpers outside bino's and red lights to hand :-)

Mike

Day 2 - Friday 1st April

Last night the same thing happened. We were all in the pub as it was total cloud cover. Next minute it is clear and we are all rushing back to our pitches. I gave up near to 2am, but  a load of our gang were still up.

Images were taken, though the gusty winds made guiding a challenge. I was over an hour trying to figure out why my guiding wasnt working, only to discover EQMOD has tracking set to off as default.

Today (Saturday morning) it is nice and sunny and we have less wind forecast.

Mike

Day 3 - Saturday 3rd

Saturday started off sunny but windy. The wind died down throughout the day and by the time it got dark there was no wind at all. The night started off cloudy but it slowly cleared until around 10pm it was completely clear, but a bit hazy. It then remained clear until the early hours of the morning.

Sunday is starting off as a nice sunny day with a gentle breeze.

Fay

I got there first on thursday, after a run in with a big lorry on M25, took the far side wing mirror away, pushed me into the fast lane but luckily the car in that lane was a few yards behind me.

Got there & the wind was ferocious.  chaps from Ashford Soc  came & helped me, then 3 more arrived from elsewhere & it was still hard to hold it down. I then went & helped the chaps put their one up, and another 3 chaps came over & we could all just about hold the tent. A lot of pegs were banged in but it went into the air like a big parachute & we nearly lost it, it was  so hard to hold it down.

All night it was a nightmare, I felt like I was in a ship in full sail, all the floor was rippling like waves & the tent was bowing in & out all night, I never slept a wink. Have not got over Tuesnoad episode of the fly away tent yet & knew that if it was going to go, then it would no matter how many pegs or people were inside!!!!

Not a lot of images taken, Julian took some wide field star fields, which I think will be very nice, & Robert did a couple with the Hyperstar.

Last night was clear from 12.30, but as I was not prepared to stay up until around 3am, I packed up, as had to go home today.

A great time was had by all, great company, nice site, restaurant, toilets, showers & bar, trade stands on saturday.  Lot of laughs with lots of nice people & lots of visits from others around the site.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Sunday Evening:

Mike and Cris, Fay, Julian, Robert and Duncan have all gone home.  
This leaves, me, Delphine and Sue and our respective husbands and Rose and Doug.

Delphine, Ian, me and my husband went on the steam railway today.  

Quotenever slept a wink
I never slept a wink that night either, Fay and I commiserating with each other the next day.  

Wind was terrible Thursday and Friday, and tonight looks like some rain coming in, although not reached here yet.  

A nice sociable few days.  Not managed any imaging as yet but fabulous skies for observation. 

Carole

Mike

A great weekend. I've booked up 6 days for next year :D

Mike

Hope the people leaving today didn't get caught up in the massive delay on the M11 due to a 9 vehicle accident.

Fay

That's what I was thinking, Mike
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!