• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

15.4" matte WSXGA+ LCD panel (1650x1050)

Started by mickw, Mar 22, 2011, 14:48:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Anyone got any use for it ?

It's from my Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop
The panel isn't perfect and has a couple of patches where colour isn't right - but it works and is better than a broken one.

It's not as good as my new SuperBright WSXGA+ panel though  :lol:
Ooooo Shiny  8)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

I might be interested. How much of the screen is naf?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

Damn,  I just spent a load of money getting the backlight on my daughters laptop screen (same spec) replaced :(

I'll definitely have it as a spare if no other takers.

Robert

PhilB

Robert, a replacement laptop screen shouldn't cost you more than eighty to ninety quid excluding fitting. If she busts it again let me know and I'll get you the part.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

mickw

OK this is the link to where I got my luverly new one - The spec and warnings should apply to this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-15-4-WSXGA-LCD-SCREEN-ACER-FERRARI-4000-/230349553758?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item35a1e7405e#ht_1552wt_908

The round mark looks like a beer stain - No idea how that got there  :angel:
The other marks are "burning" from not using screen saver  :oops:
The only thing wrong is the colours look a bit iffy in those areas

PhilB

I'm impressed that you can stand a beer glass perpendicular to the force of gravity! Hope it was empty - could have bu****ed up the keyboard other wise.

Could the "good" area accommodate the buisness end of a 120mm refractor? I was thinking of using it for taking flats.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I've seen other LCD screens with burn-in, including one I used at work for many years. It doesn't look exactly like CRT burn-in, but it is similar. I'm not exactly sure what the mechanism is, and it takes a while (the same display for hours each day for years), but it definitely happens sometimes.

mickw

QuoteI'm impressed that you can stand a beer glass perpendicular to the force of gravity! Hope it was empty - could have bu****ed up the keyboard other wise.

I said nothing about a glass  ;)  Might have been a particularly funny something - Keyboards ?  I'm on number 3  :(
I'm not sure about the good, clear area, but it would be close - also awkward, the clear area is in one corner.

Yep, not strictly burn in but a dimmer area where a bright part of image was displayed

mickw

QuoteI was thinking of using it for taking flats.

I would have thought an old monitor complete with backlight inverter would be a better bet - even some on ebay for free

RobertM

Quote from: PhilB on Mar 22, 2011, 16:17:26
Robert, a replacement laptop screen shouldn't cost you more than eighty to ninety quid excluding fitting. If she busts it again let me know and I'll get you the part.

Thanks for the offer Phil.