• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

HEQ6 or NHEQ6

Started by RobertM, Apr 12, 2011, 10:38:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Anyone know whether the newer HEQ6's are any better than the old.  Am I better off buying an older HEQ6 and upgrading with losmandy puck and longer counterweight bar or newer NEQ6 which has those fitted.

Have been offered a good deal (I think) on a used HEQ6 (3 years old no tripod) so am interested in any views (on the subject).

Many thanks
Robert

Mike

What's the difference between an EQ6 and a HEQ6?

My EQ6 is up for sale if you are interested?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi Robert,

If its the one without the goto controller and it is a NEQ6 then its a later model anyway, stay away from one of the black ones they may have an upgrade kit but the worms will be the old ones which has high PE.

The chronology of the mounts went as follows;

EQ6
EQ6 Skyscan (my one)

NEQ6 Skyscan (small difference in puck between mine and this one and it have the v3 controller)
NEQ6 Synscan (non goto)

The last three are EQMOD Compatible.  There are wild fluctuations in quality between the mounts when I got mine 2004 and 2006 then the quality got a lot better.

Chris

RobertM

It's an HEQ6 Pro Synscan with upgradable V3 handset, 3 years old and the guy wants £500 for it.  The thing is I'll still need to spend £170 for the extended c/w shaft and losmandy puck both of which come with the NEQ6 Pro.  The choice is £700 second hand or £930 new, not that much difference considering the amount...

Mike, I thought there was a problem with yours which is why you're getting rid of it.

Mike

Robert, no it just needs some adjustment of the motor positions and the worms.

You are welcome to borrow it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan