• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M1, M81, & Sunspots

Started by Carole, Mar 09, 2011, 23:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

M1 - Crab Nebula:
4th March 7 x 6mins
7th March 25 x 6mins
Kit as in signature using Skywatcher ED120 and Modified DSLR 450D, CLS filter
Stacked in DSS & PS CS3
(not including 6 x 6mins subs done with the Bahtinov mask on!!!!!) :cheesy:

M81 - Bodes galaxy
31st January  24 x 6mins - WO Megrez scope
6th March  21 x 6mins – Skywatcher ED120
Kit as in signature using Skywatcher ED120 and Modified DSLR 450D, CLS filter
Stacked in DSS & PS CS3
I'm not sure if this is an improvement on the one done on 31st Jan.  
This was an interesting exercise as I stacked subs from two different nights using 2 different scopes with a different field of view. I wasn't sure if this would work, but DSS seems to have stacked OK.  

The Sun:
8th March 2011
I took the following single sub using Hugh's refractor that we use for the Outreach sessions a Teleview 85 Apochromatic with his white light solar filter, using my DSLR which I forgot was modified, but after some photoshop this is what I got.
Modified DSLR EOS 450D

Shutter speed 1/800

AV mode ISO 200

PhilB

There's some really nice detail in these images, Carole. You now appear to have quite a production line running 8)
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Blimey, all seems easy now eh!

:-)

Did you see how many sunspots there were three days ago, LOADS!

Carole

QuoteDid you see how many sunspots there were three days ago
No I didn't unfortunately, I don't have a white light filter of my own.

QuoteBlimey, all seems easy now eh!
Certain aspects are getting easy Chris, but still getting a lot of noise in the images which I would like to eradicate but don't know why I'm getting it. Plus of course the on-going intermittent guiding problems - see other thread. 

Carole

mickw

Quotebut still getting a lot of noise in the images which I would like to eradicate but don't know why I'm getting it

Have you started turning off the liveview yet during capture ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteHave you started turning off the liveview yet during capture ?
Yup, I've done that now Mick, but only since the above captures, so not had a chance to compare yet.

Carole

The Thing

It's not just the liveview, you need to turn off the LCD so it doesn't light up and generate heat (and ruin your dark adaptation). On my 350D you push the Menu button repeatedly until the screen goes off, otherwise it comes on between exposures even if you've set the timer to turn it off after x seconds.

Carole

It was the LCD screen that I meant Duncan.  I've had live view on the laptop turned off for ages once I start imaging.  Having said that though the LCD screen as you say only came on between exposures which of course is now switched off. 

On my Canon I just have to press the Display button and it switches it off (didn't realise I could switch it off until Mark mentioned it on Mikes new kit thread).

Carole

RobertM

Very nice Carole, it's good to see the Sun making an appearance on the forum for a change.  I hope there will be many more now the next cycle is finally starting.

Rocket Pooch

I have some sun images taken last week!

RobertM

Come on don't be coy, get them posted  8)

Fay

Very nice Sun & Crab Carole.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Carole

I've tweaked the Crab a little as I thought the background was too blue, as was the crab itself.

Carole

PhilB

Ahhhh, told you there was some nice detail there! I like the re-process. I think it's brought things up nicely.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole