• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Binned flats

Started by Fay, Mar 08, 2011, 17:46:38

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

He's out earning a crust!

If I read the description right you should have camera, 19mm extension then flattener i.e the distance from the front of the camera to the back of the flattener must be 19mm.
How far out the draw tube needs to be to focus is dependent on your scope. How far the flattener is from the camera chip does not, its a function of the flattener.

Hope that helps.

mickw

So does that mean that the camera just needs 19mm of assorted bits and bobs (preferably one bit or bob) between it and something "optical"", either the scope or a flattener ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Hi Mick,

This distance applies to this particular flattener. You need to know how far back the CCD is from the front of its housing. The Canon 350D is 44mm if I remeber correctly.

If you just have your Canon on the back of your Burgess you don't need to worry as long as you can get focus. I have similar issues with my Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor (horrendous name), the trouble with that one is there are no published figures for distances that I can find. Alan Gee is/was a 'famous' optical designer, shame he could write a spec sheet!

Duncan

mickw

Thanks Dunc, got it now (should have read Chris' post properly as well) - This means that Fay is still in the poop because she has now got a 19mm adapter and the skinny "sticking" adapter which is about 3mm.  That could account for the vignetting.

Fay, must you use the skinny adapter as well ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteFay, must you use the skinny adapter as well ?

Probably as she cant get the Stilsons on to it to remove it. :lol:

Mac

Fay

Yes, I have already got it off the QSI twice with the tool that gets lids off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   sweat sweat sweat
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!