• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tonight, where have the clear skies at 6pm gone?

Started by Fay, Mar 06, 2011, 19:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The skies cleared in Bromley at midnight, so stayed up all night.........really tired now, but my target had got too low by midnight (M1), so changed to something else.

Carole

mickw

Well I've just finished setting up and getting ready for the disasters - too many new procedures and fiddly bits.
Be a miracle if it all comes together but we shall see.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

mickw

Oh no they don't  :!

EQMod worked.......................................
That's all folks  :cry:

Fay

What you doing indoors Mick??

What went wrong?
  I must say I don't think the sky is all that

RobertM

I'm sorry to hear that Mick, you'd better start another thread for your woes tonight !

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

mickw

EQMod was the only good thing.

Bad things - Couldn't get focus with eyepiece, finderscope out of alignment so couldn't do alignment, neighbours kitchen lights, Starry Night crashing

Managed to get the camera focused, but alignment still a problem - gave up when Starry Night crashed repeatedly.

I will be busy today investigating the problems - I did learn that a handset/joypad is essential with EQMod

Fay

mickw

QuoteI think it is time for a beer!!!!!!!

Yes, Beer, Beer is my friend and the sun is over the horizon so it's not too early  :)

Overcome one "problem" - I can only bring an eyepiece to focus using the prism, camera is fine - Odd  :-?
Actually 2 problems - I can align the finder now I can see where the scope is pointing (that's something else added to my "things to remember" list)

Now where's that beer

Mike

What is the length of the light path using both? Sounds like the focal point is quite far out.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Top tip with a DSLR Mick, get a ruller, if your focal length of the scope is 500mm you measure 500mm from the front element of the telescope to the film plane marker on the scope, you will probably need extention tubes.  This will give you approx focus for a refractor.

Mac

QuoteI think Mick has gone underground...

Na that was me. 8)