• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Scope (well 2nd hand) does this count?

Started by Carole, Mar 05, 2011, 13:06:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Got myself a new (2nd hand) scope as some of the targets in the Megrez were too small.
Does a 2nd hand one count as needing to apologise for bad weather?  It was bad anyway. :cheesy:

Skywatcher ED120 Pro
But a monster compared to the size scopes I've had before.  I can see why Fay calls her Leitz The Beast as that's what I feel this one is like.  

Although with this I don't have the right size Bahtinhov mask so last night efforts were focussed with wire spokes holding on the existing Bahtinov, looked hilarious but seemed to work  :cheesy:  
I'm going to order a new one as I don't have tools to make my own.  

They recommend the W0 0.8X Flattener.  I looked at my current flattener and that's exactly what I have so a bit of luck there.

PLUS I can reach focus with a 2 x barlow so I will be able to increase the magnification even more (could not get focus with 2 x Barlow with the Megrez).  

Has any-one got a piece of metal approx 8.5 inches long by about 1/ 1.5 inches wide approx 1/2" thick kicking around?  I feel I should try to mount piggy back for this set up if I can, although am making do with side by side shifted accross, because of the weight of the new scope.  The gap in the mounting rings is too far apart for the ST80 guide scope.  I'll need to get some holes drilled in the
bar in the appropriate places.  

Have to do more ducking and diving in the Observatory with this scope.  

PhilB

Nice looking 'scope. I've an equinox 120 and I'm told that this differs from the EQ only in terms of the focuser and overall finish. If mines anything to go by you'll be well pleased with this purchase.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Tony G

This is the one I got a couple of weeks ago but with the new black livery, and also got the SW dedicated field flattener with it, along with a Canon EOS adapter with the purchase.
The only problem was the long, long trip to Oswestry to pick it up :-?

Still haven't seen my first light with this yet, but have been reading the reviews, and wait eagerly in anticipation. :o

And Carole, I have it on good authority that second-hand scopes are actually good for the enviroment and could improve the weather.  ;)

Tony G 
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Tony is yours an ED120 as there is a black one but a different model I think.

QuoteAnd Carole, I have it on good authority that second-hand scopes are actually good for the enviroment and could improve the weather. 
:cheesy:

QuoteThe only problem was the long, long trip to Oswestry to pick it up
I was lucky, the chap selling it delivered it personally all the way from Norfolk and we split the petrol. 

Carole

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Ah yes, that was the one I saw, it's a black diamond ED120 but looks pretty much the same.

Carole