• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon 1000D comparison to 450D

Started by RobertM, Mar 03, 2011, 22:42:25

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Well done!

Did you find it a complicated process?

Mark

Fay

You have done well there, Robert!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

It quite easy thanks to the excellent Gary Honis video on youtube.  I specifically bought a screwdriver that was an exact fit for the screws and that made taking it apart a breeze  8)  The most tricky part was keeping the front glass clean.  I managed to get a couple of flecks of dust on it and the act of wiping those off induced some static charge on the glass which then acted like a magnet to more dust on the other side, took me 20 mins to get the glass clear again !  In all the process took under 2 hours, not as quick as the video but not too bad either.  I also managed to keep the IR filter in one piece.  I could probably do it again in about 40 mins or less (for a filter removal) now I know what I'm doing.  The most worrying part of the whole process was powering it back on afterwards... heart in mouth... but it worked thankfully!

Robert

JohnP

I'm impressed Robert - Just watched the video - You can tell that Gary has done it a few times before... :-( Out of interest what did you replace the filter with?

John

RobertM

Thanks John, I didn't replace the filter, it was a removal only job.  Less glass = less refractions = less reflections.

Robert
P.S. It's good to see you posting again :)

JohnP

Thks. So does that mean camera is an astro only job or will you still be able to manually focus using lenses..?

RobertM

Well, it does focus though not so accurately, I guess it depends what you're focusing on.  Anything with a depth of field might be ok but in any case manual focus still works.

Robert

Whitters

Just bought me a 450D, before viewing the video.   :o  should be interesting. Any tips Robert?

RobertM

Yep,  Make sure you do it in as dust free an environment as possible (a damp rag helps) and ensure the screwdriver is a perfect fit.  If you can earth yourself too then the dust won't be as attracted to the parts you want to keep clean.  Otherwise be careful not to mix the screws up, I grouped them in the order I took the camera apart which makes life easy when reversing the process.

It's not that difficult but if you get any dust on the glass then it's a real pain.

Robert

Whitters

Thanks Robert I'll look forward to that  :-?