• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp 2011 March 4th to 7th

Started by Fay, Feb 25, 2011, 13:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I wonder why they're so completely different from the Met Office forecast?   :!

Fay

This is the problem, they never ever agree!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Have emailed Jackie anyway, they've installed the new drainage so hopefully all will be less boggy

Wonder if it was a French drain?  Mac knows all about those!

Fay

mickw

QuoteWonder if it was a French drain?  Mac knows all about those!

I believe it is.

From what I understand of Mac's, they drain the water from certain areas of the ground then distribute it evenly over the places you want to get dry

mickw

Talking of water.....................................

Just filled the van up with water - not the tank - the van  :cry:

I have a leak on the water pump - So it's off to Johns Cross tomorrow (at Robertsbridge) to get a new one.
Depending what time I get there, I might check out the ground conditions at Rother Valley.

Carole

QuoteI might check out the ground conditions at Rother Valley.
That would be great if you can Mick.

Carole

mickw

Just had a reply from Jackie  :(

QuoteHello Mick,

Yes we have had lots of rain and at the moment can't get any vehicle onto the field as the entrance is very wet, though parts of the field higher up are quite firm.

I would suggest that we watch the weather - if it doesn't rain for the rest of the week then you could probably camp and Colin could help you get up the field. However your Motorhome would have to stay on the shingle area.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best Wishes
Jackie

It's neither warm enough or windy enough to dry the ground so I think we should give Rother a miss this time and head off to Blacklands - It's not going to be much fun being towed in and towed out.

mickw

So does everybody agree with Blacklands ?

MarkS

Yes - I agree with Blacklands (assuming I go - only if a clear night is expected).

My car got stuck in Nov at Rother Valley and it had hardly been raining ...

Mike

At the moment most forecasts are only showing Sunday night as being clear. Friday and Saturday cloudy.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Although I want to go, I must feel it is worth all the effort. It is always like this, we can never look forward to it the week before as weather forecasts are never accurate enough.

I have to get my camping shopping today, going or not, & it will probably be all down hill from then on   :roll:

mickw

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
I have to get my camping shopping today, going or not, & it will probably be all down hill from then on   :roll:

I have a solution to that - buy things you can also eat at home if you end up not going - like a huge fry-up!!!   It's great to have a huge fry-up in a field but if you end up not going, at least you can have a huge fry-up at home to mitigate some of the frustration.

And weird French stuff can also be drunk at home!

Mark