• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M65 and M66 26/27 Feb 2011

Started by The Thing, Feb 27, 2011, 17:08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Hi all,

I got out and managed to bag some more lights the other night. This image now has 27x300s subs, about 40 darks, flats, bias frames. All processed in DSS. I must try some post-processing, especially to sort out the star colours.

Larger version

Fay

Looking better all the time Duncan!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Looking great Duncan, I keep forgetting you're only processing in DSS as well.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Thats very impressive considering where you are located.

Chris

RobertM

Looking even better Duncan.  That's quite a lot of subs now !

The Thing

Thanks for the kind comments. I think there is a lot of good data so I might give it a go in Iris and then I am about to clear out my laptop hard drive and then put on Photoshop.

For those who followed the APT thread, I used the image mask function to get the stars lined up for the second set of subs, it works. You can load an existing image, create the mask (little circles you put round prominent stars) and then start snapping subs and lining things up. It even has ASCOM scope control buttons but I found the distance moved for each button click a bit odd.

Carole

Looking even better Duncan.

QuoteAPT thread, I used the image mask function to get the stars lined up for the second set of subs, it works. You can load an existing image, create the mask (little circles you put round prominent stars) and then start snapping subs and lining things up
that looks like such a useful tool.  I have downloaded APT and looked at the features but haven't got as far as trying it out yet.

Carole

MarkS

Duncan,

That's beginning to look very good.  It's surprisingly deep given your light pollution.  I find the CLS filter always does a good job of bringing out the H-alpha in galaxies.  You've certainly got some good colour in there.

Mark