• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M65 and M66 26/27 Feb 2011

Started by The Thing, Feb 27, 2011, 17:08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Canon 350Da ISO800 13(20)x300s (1h05m) 20 flats, darks, 10 bias. Kappa Sigma stacked 2.5 3 in DSS. All processing in DSS. Centre of image processed only. Nearly forgot, captured using APT and PHD with autodithering set to 3px.

I am very happy with this. I wish there hadn't been so much 'clear sky' as I would have had a lot more usable subs. Must get a grip on the processing.
Full resolution version.

(About half size).

MarkS

I like the scale on the half size one and there's some nice detail beginning to emerge there.

The processing has been well executed.

What Focal length and F-ratio were you working at?

Mark

The Thing

It was about 1250mm f5.5ish using the Baader Telecompressor. I did get Maxim to work out the correct focal length for the combination but didn't write it down! As usual if I'd taken more time and checked the collimation I would probably have got more detail.

Am I correct in thinking that more subs would smooth the background as the noise reduced?

RobertM

Nice detail there Duncan and it looks like you've worked well to keep the noise down.  Could be a bit greenish but that's probably the filter kicking in.

Robert

The Thing

Thanks Robert.

Here's a bit of a re-process, all in DSS. Still no sharpening. Full Size Version 2

mickw

That's made quite a difference, nice one,
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Am I correct in thinking that more subs would smooth the background as the noise reduced?

Yes, the background will smooth as you increase the subs.

You've done an excellent job with the re-process.

Mark

Fay

Well done Duncan, you are pleased with that! I did not know you could process in DSS
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Wow your guiding looks good, well done.

Whitters

Nice image Duncan, did you use any filters?

The Thing

Thanks. My best to date by a long way.

Just the usual astronomik CLS-CCD filter.

Guiding with the 50 mm finderscope and QHY5 is much more accurate than when I was using a skywatcher 80AT. The fork mount doesn't like being loaded up even if well balanced. Also I have phd turned down to 70% with 20% hysteresis to smooth the graph.

Fay

Duncan, I am very pleased for you that you have a made a big headway!! :) Bet you are straining at the leash for a good DSC now.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

You've got in really deep there Duncan.  I think there is still a little bit more you could pull out. 

I like the re-process.

Carole