• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Complete Idiots Guide to Posting Images on the Forum

Started by Mike, Aug 27, 2013, 19:59:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

As Doug and a few other people seem to have had issues with posting and resizing images on the forum I thought I'd do a guide.

If you have an image of your own that you would like to display on the website, then first you need to upload it to an image hosting service such as Flickr or Imgur first. As Imgur is a lot easier to link to than Flickr I will use that as an example. So, first, go to the imgur website at:

http://imgur.com/

You don't need an account on Imgur to use it, though you do get more control. I will presume you haven't got an account.

1) Click the COMPUTER button under UPLOAD IMAGES.

2) Navigate to where your image is stored on your PC and then select the image and click OPEN.

3) On the next page click the START UPLOAD button.

The image will now upload to Imgur.

When it has finished uploading you will be presented with a screen like this:

4) Your image is on the left and on the right hand side you have some links that you can copy to use on the forum. Click the COPY button to the left of the BBCode link:

5) Then in the OAS Forum create your post and click the IMAGE button.

You will then have this inserted into your post:

[img][/img]

6) Now PASTE the BBCode link (Step 4) that you previously copied from Imgur. It will look something like this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EQnReDM.jpg[/IMG]

7) If your image is LARGE (Quite likely) then you will need to resize it before saving your post. The easiest way is to add a width=sizeInPixels entry after the img command and add the number of pixels you want the image to be in width. Example, if you wanted the image to display 1024 pixels wide edit the code so it looks like this:

[img width=1024]http://i.imgur.com/EQnReDM.jpg[/img]

Make sure that the width command is in lower case and after the img command and before the ]

You can of course make this as large or as small in width as you like. However, try not to go over 1024 if you can help it to make the image easy to see across the width of most monitors and tablets.

If your image is in portrait format and very tall you can change the width command to a height command and make it as small as you like.

For example, this image is 2879 pixels wide but I have resized it with the WIDTH command to be 900 pixels wide.

300 Pixels Wide:

100 Pixels wide

25 Pixels wide

If you need to go back into your post at a later date to add images, change them or to resize them then you do not need to delete the post and start again, simply click the MODIFY button at the top of your post and edit it accordingly.

Hopefully these instructions are easy to follow.

For a complete guide to using BBCode click HERE.

Cheers,

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

As one of the complete idjits .... thanks for this. Very explanatory and useful for future posts.

Doug .. And thanks again.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Delphine

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Miriam

Thanks for all the info - really easy to follow!  :P