• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Multiple USB Controllers

Started by mickw, Feb 15, 2011, 13:02:33

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I've been thinking about putting together a slimline PC loaded with umpteen USB ports to control everything "astro" without the use of hubs or adapters and without slowing everything down.

I know there is/are USB controllers on a motherboard but what about the PCI USB cards (Belkin etc.) ?  Do these cards have a controller in their own right or are they just another path to the controller on the motherboard ?

Would umpteen USB cards be throttled by a botttleneck on the PCI bus ?

Would this work or
:boom:

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Yup.
That exactly how i do it.

I have a dedicated Astro Laptop.  (Current Laptop set up with HyperOS, which allows me 22 totally separate windows systems)
With a 2 port USB hub connected directly to the motherboard, via  a pcmcia (no bottle neck and high speed transfers)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-2.0-4-port-pcmcia-laptop-card-47100

If you use a usb plug in hub, you stand a chance of getting bottle necks, as you are now sharing the 4 ports
through a single usb port.

Also when you are setting up plug eash piece of equipment into EVERY port and install the drivers each time it asks you.
Only if you forget where they were pluged into and plug into a different USB port it will ask you for the drivers!!

Mac.

mickw

I'm already using a pcmcia card but figured it must be throttling - obviously not 

So I'll just make do with my laptop with 8 USB ports  8)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteI'm already using a pcmcia card but figured it must be throttling - obviously not 

It might not be your USB that the bottle neck,
but all the other windows junk thats running and not needed,
thats why i went down the separate windows path.

All i have on there is as follows.

Windows with EVERYHTHING I dont need unistalled.
The minimum of services running.
No auto updates

Drivers for the following
all my cameras, Nikon, Canon Starlight ect
Filter wheel,

Windows raw viewer
Ascom drivers
Deep sky stacker
Registax
EC Calculator
EQMOD
PHD Guiding
Pole Align Max
Sky map 10
Starrynight
Maxim 5.

I only have to run Starrynight & Maxim.

No other software is needed

No antivirus, and only the windows firewall.

The antivirus / maleware ect ect, is run from my other system, so even if i do get an infection (to-date none!!)
I can remove it easily, as the system with the infection is not running.

i normally, update the pc, ephemeris's ect, and then disable the internet on my desktop .
All my photos are saved onto my server, any processing, ect, i do remotely on my desktop (which is a lot faster)
which also has all the astronomy software installed anyway.

Win Win.

Mac