• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leo Triplet

Started by Carole, Feb 27, 2011, 14:40:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is a painstaking process as it has already taken me 3 nights to capture only 15 x 5 mins subs with the constant cloudy skies.  Last night I was trying to catch 5min subs between the clouds.  I was hoping to add more to this before I posted, but the way things are going that could be next year!!  

So 15 x 5mins taken on:
12th Feb (7 subs)
14th Feb (3 subs)
26th Feb (5 subs)
Plus Darks, Flats and Bias
WO Megrez 72 APO, Modified Canon EOS 450D DSLR with CLS clip filter
Guided with QHY5 and PHD

I know it's noisy, will add more data if and when.

MarkS

Carole,

That's not bad from a sky polluted site - all the main features are beginning to appear.  It's an adventurous target to go for from such a location. 

Technically, the stars are nice and round - so your guiding is clearly working fine.  It's also been well processed. 

You really need some dark skies - you'll be amazed at the difference.  Here's hoping for next weekend's DSC.

Mark

PhilB

Looking good, Carole.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Thanks Mark and Phil, yes it would be nice to get to some unpolluted skies. 

Carole

mickw

It's getting there, well done.

How do you get rid of the Cyan that you get with the CLS ?
I'm guessing it's something simple that I'm missing.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteHow do you get rid of the Cyan that you get with the CLS ?
Took me a long time to figure that out Mick.

On levels click on the middle dropper and then click on your sky background.  Then you just need to fiddle with levels and curves to get the right level of darkness.

Carole

mickw

Thanks - something else to play with  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Getting there Carole.  It's a rather adventurous subject as Mark has pointed out but you've done well to bring out what you have. 

Carole

Thanks Robert. 

QuoteIt's a rather adventurous subject as Mark has pointed out

I am really using these galaxy images as practice for the "real thing".

Please let it be clear skies at Kelling.
:angel:

Carole

The Thing

Hi Carole,

Practice makes perfect, and you are definitely heading that way. This is in a good position as a practice target this month, I'll definitely be having another shot at it, adventurous or not.

Carole

Thanks Duncan, see you were doing the same thing last night.  As you say practice makes perfect. 

Carole