• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Extremely Bright Object

Started by MarkS, Feb 08, 2011, 16:53:08

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Did anyone see that extremely bright object hovering in the sky today? 

There were quite a number of independent sightings by people here at Canary Wharf but I don't know if it was visible elsewhere.   

It was so bright that it was painful to look at and it actually cast shadows on the ground.

Mark

Carole

Tony G

Mark,

I was stuck on the M25 for a while earlier, because a car had crashed as it came through Essex between J28 and J29, and a policeman told me, while I was sitting in traffic, that as the driver reached the brow of the hill, he was startled by a dazzling orb just stationary in the sky sort of south westerly, and he swerved to avoid it. He told the police that he had never seen anything like it..................well not since early last year anyway.
I missed it, but I'm hoping there maybe something on the local News or Youtube later.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

I missed it, but I did catch a glimpse of a shadow out of the window.

Nothing in the news so perhaps you imagined it or it was a rare occurrence.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Hovering or moving slowly?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Hovering or moving slowly?

It moved very slowly across the sky over a period of hours ...

Carole

Got it!!

Very funny Mark

OK we saw the sun today!!! :cheesy:

Mac

Whitters