• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

[BAA-ebulletin 00560] The 2011 Orion Star Count week starts tonight

Started by Rick, Feb 01, 2011, 08:44:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

(c) 2011 British Astronomical Association -- http://www.britastro.org/
Posted Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:25:33 +0000

Tonight is the first night of the 2011 Orion Star Count week. The count is organised by the BAA Campaign for Dark Skies and the Campaign to Protect Rural England and it is a way for everyone to get involved in helping to measure the extent of light pollution in the UK. Details of the count are here:

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/starcount/

Please take some time this week to have a look at Orion during any convenient clear spell and submit your count via the website.

Submitted by Nick James on behalf of John Mason
BAA Press and Publicity Officer

Rick

Instructions are on the website linked above. Note that your star count should not include the four corner stars, but only those within this rectangular boundary, including the stars in the middle known as Orion's belt.

MarkS

Quote from: Rick
Note that your star count should not include the four corner stars ...

I saw 6 then, at Blackheath and Sidcup, belt + sword

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Oops, misreading the instructions could make a big difference to the count in light ridden areas!

I can see 6 stars
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rick

From Cambridge earlier this evening I could see three...

Tony G

From Mottingham I am still trying to find the four corner stars. :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Tony, it's daylight, you'll have to wait till it gets dark  :roll:

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: RobertM on Feb 02, 2011, 13:19:37Tony, it's daylight, you'll have to wait till it gets dark  :roll:

Can you tell the difference in Mottingham?