• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Les Granges - Supernova remnant Simeis 147

Started by RobertM, Sep 22, 2010, 18:15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is a very large and faint Supernova remnant on the Auriga/Taurus border.  It's my second attempt at this but I wasn't able to get sufficient quality sub-exposures as dawn was approaching.  My next attempt will be  4-5 hours exposure which should be enough even for South East London.  This was the only narrow band image I did at Les G.

Field of view: 5.3 x 4 degrees which makes it a larger angular diameter than the Cygnus loop.

Capture details:
Exposure: 5 x 600s
Filter: Baader Ha 7nm passband
Camera: Finger Lakes ML 8300 @-30C
Optics: Canon 200L lens@f/3.2
Conditions: Clear but dawn dawn light
Sky Magnitude: approx 5.5
Date: 5,8/9/2010
Guiding: Lodestar + converted 50mm finder

TFL
Robert

Rocket Pooch

Mike

Looks like a ball of spider web. Lovely image. Would be fantastic if you could do some more exposures of this. It looks like it needs many hours of captures.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Wow - that's a really cool object!

By Cygnus loop, do you mean the Veil Nebula complex?  Does it also have other pretty colours like the Veil does?

Mark

RobertM

Yes, I meant the Veil and I'm not sure it has any pretty colours.  Ha is faint enough, I've never seen it in tri-band so I don't know.

mickw

QuoteI'm not sure it has any pretty colours

Scroll to near the bottom of the images - interesting write up too
http://www.ing.iac.es/PR/last_img.html
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I really like that Robert, did not know you had done that one. It has been on my to do list for ages
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Fay

I really like it, but would need a good DSC to have a chance
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

That's one of the best if not the best I've seen of that.