• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead Nebula in Orion

Started by Fay, Jan 09, 2011, 15:13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Had a few problems last night. Mainly Atik would not connect, took ages to realise I had plugged it into the wrong socket! |(silly me, could have blown it up)Thought I would use EQMOD, tried to get it going for about half hour, could not do it, so resorted back to handset, as could not mess about any longer. It then came to light that the mount was not turned on!!!!

This was 20x480, Atik 314L, 7nm ha filter, o.8 fr. WOZS66.

The filter is a bit too deep for the filter wheel I have, so it will not rotate. Not sure if the FR stops it or if it is due to the rim being thicker than the Astronomik one's. 

I did some darks, but for some reason no program would stack the subs, when using them, have not had a chance to figure out why yet.

I would have liked a better composition, but needs must when not having a larger chip! :D

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

I have just looked at the darks, cannot figure what has gone wrong.

I did them same length exposures as light. cap on. When looking at them in Astroart, the window with the details underneath, they are black. When I open them in Astroart, they are white 65,000, the bars at the side of the screen cannot alter the brightness.

Has anyone a clue what is wrong, probably something obvious.

Carole

Nice lot of detail there Fay.

Reading Mark's thread, and yours and all the problems I had last night, the lack of clear skies and the freezing weather we go out in, we must be a load of masochists, but we still keep going despite all. 

Carole

MarkS

Fay, that is a beautiful image!  So much detail in the faint nebulosity.  You must be really pleased with that!

I have no ideas about your darks I'm afraid.

Mark

PhilB

Very nice image, Fay. I had issues with my kit last night also. So much so that my attempt at the horsehead fell from a cliff :cry: :cry:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Thanks Phil. I am using the Canon tonight, as I want to try this subject with some different setups. I find it quite hard to compose it  with the larger chip camera. It will be very difficult with the Leitz lens, as the subject will be so small & unrecognisable. Hope you are out there!!!!!

PhilB

I'm going out now (I may be some time!), but have decided to sacrifice imaging in favour of getting the mount right as I feel that at least some of my problems stem from it not being as spot on as it should be. Good luck with the Canon.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Thanks Phil. I was just glad the mount was ok being that is has been outside in all that weather. Good job I mother it a bit  ;)

The Thing

That's beautiful Fay. It's a real wow image.

Fay

Duncan, thank you. I have reprocessed, I will put it on as I think it is a bit better

RobertM

Stunning picture Fay, and lovely cloud (dare I say the word) detail !!!

The only thing I'd say would be that the stars look perhaps a little too sharp to me but that could be these contact lenses ...

Fay

I have reprocessed, as I did the other one quick & it was the first one I have done for a long time. I think this is better, but I suppose it is personal taste

Fay

Thanks a lot Robert, cloud detail being the operative word

Tony G

Excellent image Fay. The detail is so sharp.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Very nice Fay, the reprocess does look quite a bit sharper but you seem to be losing some of the wispy bits.

You'd better get your finger out if you're going to do the colour  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional