• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disaster with Desktop

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2010, 11:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

just tried it on a fully charged battery, no difference
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Hmmm

Sounds like it might be broken  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

regarding desktop, motherboard has come up, so ordered that & also a CPU ordered in case it is that. It can be sent back if not needed.

Fay

Well, got a refund on the HTC, it would not charge, amongst other things. Vodaphone did not have more around so I now have a Blackberry 8500. Really like it, not just a phone, lots of extras but not like the HTC which was more like a computer.
Took a couple of weeks to suss out the Wildfire, but only a day for this one. Nice looking, easy to learn, used my HTC backgounds as well, which i was pleased about as I like a picture. keys a bit small, but, up to now, I like it very much.

Fay

Well, my friend, Richard has sorted the desktop!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!

He replaced the motherboard as on the old one, 4 of the capacitors were sort of blown at the top, near the graphics card.

He got it up & running but because he left the graphics card out, in case it blew the new motherboard, the colours were ok on the screen but the resolution was wrong & not enough choices for image size.
So, he saved the correct graphics card  at PC World, I went & got it & now the pictures are correct on screen. I am just transferring all my saved data & hope all goes as well as it is at the moment.

Did not think I would have this outcome, just got to get it all back to normal. Thank God, Chris did my wireless connections, would have been so difficult if it had not been done.

I should be all settled when we get some clear skies, worries sorted!!!!!!Fingers crossed

Carole

What a nightmare Fay.

Glad it's finally sorted.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

See, format hard drive not allways the answer :-)

Fay

Yes it has been awful, Carole, all we seem to get in one way or another is problems.

Yes, Chris, PC World would have messed with the hard drive & still it would not have worked, costs mounting all the time. I am very lucky at the outcome

RobertM

You've been lucky this time but what happens if the hard drive goes - do you backup important data or can you afford to loose everything ?

Robert

Fay

I am backed up Robert. At the moment trying to get these programs back on again