• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

8" Newtonian Saga continues

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 22, 2010, 19:03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok, I know this is now going too far, but I do like newts and I do want one to work.

Anyway, latest saga, Phil thanks for the Collimator its been really useful and I will return it.

So,

1 - I took the primary out today and checked the measurement for the centre spot, oh yes it was off axis by 6mm in one direction.  I marked a new centre spot.

2 - I put the very hard spings in the scope from my 12" (oh err), when I did this I thought I'd make a skirt between the primary and fan to ensure the fan actually sucked, rather than just looking good.  Anyway, when I looked closely at the collimation nobs (oh err missus) I realised if you screw them in, pulling the primary back, the end of the screws can hit the primary mirror!  Not and ideal design.  Any way I put the skirt on, did the screwing ensuring not to go too deep and bingo all back together again.

3 - Then I again checked the secondary alignment, just to convince myself I got it in the middle of the focuser tube correctly, re-collimated and then put the scope in the spare room, because its cloudy.

At some point in time I'm going to be able to field service this thing in the dark in 5 minutes, but for now hopefully I'll get it working soon.  If not then I'm going to buy a proper scope.

Chris

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

I've got to admire your determination, around every corner there are problems.  I only hope you run out of things that are wrong with it soon so you can get on and use it !

Tony G

Chris,

Forget all this astrology astronomy stuff  :roll: and come and join me at the knitting club at BEECHE's on every 2nd Tuesday of the month.
It's a lot less demanding. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

PhilB

Nice to hear the projects moving forward, Chirs. I've got a 'scope I'm waiting to try out myself. The weather for tonight is forecast to be partly cloudy and not too cold so maybe....?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

You're showing great persistence, Chris.

If you can iron out all the problems, that scope and your camera should make a great combination.  Every scope has some niggle with it.  When I bought the Tak, it took me 3 months of adjustments before I was happy with it.

Mark