• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by Fay, Jan 03, 2011, 16:38:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

In case I have to go down the road of a new computer, if anyone has Windows 7, have you had any problems with any programs we may use, eg Photoshop, Canon software, PHD, Astroart etc etc etc
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

you will find your current broken computer is better then windows 7.

In a word, Dont go for windows 7.
You have been told.

Mac.

Fay

Oh my God, hope the new motherboard sorts it out then.......................

Mac

you can still buy a new computer,
just install windows xp onto it as soon as you get it.

Use the serial number off of your broken pc.

mickw

Don't get some ridiculously high spec laptop though that might give trouble with XP drivers.

If you see something you fancy, post details here - just to try and avoid "BAD THINGS" happening
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

I've always been a fan of Morgan Computers and, when you can get deals like this:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6452

and this:

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6297

BOTH with XP Pro preloaded, can you blame me?

Go on, Fay, at these prices you could afford to buy two....
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Sorry Phil, I am in desktop mode here

I have a lot of my programs from the laptop installed on desktop as I like to practice up there or if something goes wrong i can also test on there as well.

Mac, if any XP disc can go on any computer, why did my HP XP Proff not open on the Toshiba laptop, do you remember when we tried? So my Toshiba XP disc would be able to go on an HP computer if using the HP tower code?

Have to go as our controversial star gazing programme on, surely not live in uk? 

mickw

QuoteHave to go as our controversial star gazing programme on, surely not live in uk?

Good thing is, the celebs and scientists will be showing the crap skies we have to deal with (Sky at Night - take note)

Also with the orange skies, they can see the F'IN LIGHT POLLUTION AROUND HERE  :!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Jan 03, 2011, 16:38:54
In case I have to go down the road of a new computer, if anyone has Windows 7, have you had any problems with any programs we may use, eg Photoshop, Canon software, PHD, Astroart etc etc etc

Fay,

There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, it works fine.

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Sorry I forgot to add, use Umbongo (Linux), Mac OS (nothing works, but hey you feel cool), XP (no drivers for new kit).

Take your cloggs off OAS and throw them into the PC loom!

Chris

P.S. Personally I liked CDOS....

Carole

Quoteyou can still buy a new computer,
just install windows xp onto it as soon as you get it.

Use the serial number off of your broken pc.

But Mac, this isn't always the case, remember my Vista laptop wouldn't accept XP, or was this because we were trying to do it as a partition?

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

On a serious note, new PC, as in brand new, you should go to Windows 7, this is because you can get issues with Device Drivers for the system components.

Also, things like Photoshop, AstroArt, Maxim, CDC, EQMod all work fine on Windows 7.  The issues you may have with be with some of the older software, although thats unlikely as PHD uses the .Net Framework.

I really think there is some bad advice sometimes here about what to use and not use, as a guide you just need to check what the PC was released with when it was new and thats probably whats going to work.  I can't really see any point in going back to XP all the time.

Windows 7 is also quite quick, certainly quicker than Vista and XP, providing the system has 4GB of memory.

Personally I'd go for Windows 7, and will do whenever I need to replace one of my PC's or laptops.  Windows 7 is actually a nice OS.

Chris

Fay

Thanks Chris,  I have Richard coming around this morning with the tower and new motherboard. He has got it going in a fashion. It would not come up via the Packard Bell recovery program, got to 98% and it gave up. He has installed another external XP, but I have lost all the original progs that came with the tower.

There is something about a video or graphics card, not sure what I am talking about but, the result is that the picture will not be of the same quality & I may have to but another card. I can also get a Packard Bell XP backup disc for £50, to bring it up properly..

I will have to suss out if all this is worth it, if not, I have seen a HP 4GB , 1 ter , with 23" screen £800. 

I don't want to go thru putting all the programs back on if it is not worth it. It has to be reliable, I will check compatability with 7  and put everything I need in a list to check them out.