• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CS3 Tiff file saving

Started by Carole, Dec 18, 2010, 10:58:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I just got myself CS3 as Photoshop 7 would not allow me to do certain procedures without converting to 8bits.

Now the CS3 works fine except for one thing.  When I save a TIFF file I get this box up:

As I don't know whether I should change anything I just save this as it is.

But then when I try to re-open the file I get this:

and yet it is a file I created in the same software.

Any-one any ideas why this is happening?
So currently I can only retrieve a file I have saved in Jpeg, anything else has to be reprocessed if I want the original TIFF

Carole

Mac

Leave the settings as they are, in fact i would go as far to say dont bother with saving as tiffs,
save them all as photoshop images, (psd) as this offers you maximum compatibility when re-opening them (i.e. you haven't got to re process them)
all you need to do is to convert them to 8 bit and save them as a jpeg when you want to save them to upload them to the web.

As for it not opening the image its just saved,
its a mystery, could be your hard disk is about to fail extreme but possible ,
or just the fact it windows, 

Mac.

Carole

Quotesave them all as photoshop images, (psd)
Yes I wondered about that.

Quoteits a mystery, could be your hard disk is about to fail extreme but possible
It's a "brand new" (reconditioned) desk top. 

Carole

Mac

QuoteIt's a "brand new" (reconditioned) desk top. 
~

Exactly its second hand, how old is the disk drive,
Just kidding.

Although i have had new drives fail!!
Only once, but they do fail.

Just keep an eye on things like that, random errors, files failing to open / save ect,
booting problems, its all signs.

I wouldn't worry about it, just save them as photoshop images and do the conversion at the end.

Mac. :boom:

Rocket Pooch

How do you refurbish a PC?

Carole

QuoteHow do you refurbish a PC?
Dunno same as you refurbish anything else I guess, Check it all over, clean it up, re-install probably. 

This is the 2nd refurbished one I have bought (I got one 2 1/2 years ago), there are a number of companies doing them.  I buy them like this so I can keep XP (and it's cheaper too). 

Carole

Mac

QuoteI buy them like this so I can keep XP

you can put xp on new one's as well.

If you own a full version of xp, which if you purchased any pc with xp on then you already have,

you can install it on to any other pc, if the old one dies.

On a note, refurbishing you old one is as follows

1) Format hard disk or remove old disk and insert new disk
2) install XP / or other o/s
3) install drivers
4) Charge customer.

Carole

I am hoping I've got the the bottom of the weird TIFF problem (see earlier posts), it has continued to be a problem and even saving in PSD I was getting the same problem, but strangely not all the time.  

This basically meant that having done all the manipulation in CS3 (which worked fine), I would save as a Jpeg, but the original 16bit file in TIFF or PSD once closed could not be opened again, which was really frustrating as if I wanted to do a reprocess I would have to start all over again.

Anyway, some-one on another forum has said they had a similar problem in the past and it took them a while to fathom, it out.  They discovered it was when you put any dots in the file name (which of course I was doing because I was putting the date of the image) i.e. 12.10.10 rather than 12th October 2010.  
I've just tried it out and the same file saved
12.10.10 will not open
12th October 2010 will open

Well hopefully that's an end to the problem, but never had that problem before with PS7, I always filed my images in that format.

Carole

PhilB

If you want any of the files that you saved using your old  "dot" dating method, it's just possible that renaming them without the dots will make them loadable again.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Mac

Ah, more information, makes it easier to understand and sort the problems.

1) Open windows explorer.  (windows key and e)
2) got tools, folder options.
3) click on view
4) look for "hide extensions for known file types" and UNTICK IT
5) now look at the files you have saved, make sure the last part of the file has the .jpg , .tif, .nef, .psd ect

this is where the problem is,

you will find its adding your .dates after the jpg, and if you have this hidden you will never see it.

the last part of any file name is the type of object it is

.jpg Photo
.tif Photo
.mp3 music
.exe program

so an item named as myimage.jpg.dec2010 is a dec2011 object  not a jpg as you thought

this is common for viruses, although most of them nowdays get caught,
with the hide known file types hidden.

virus.jpg.exe actuallyl looks like a picture extension as the .exe is hidden, you open it thinking its a photo and the virus gets run.

I've just renamed an image as mil1.w.s.d.r.f.g.g.g.t.f.e.d.fgg.dfg.dsfg.sdf.gsdfg.sdfg.sdf.gsd.fg.jpg
and photoshop opens it with no problems,

you will probably find your file names are as follows,

yourimage.jpg.december.20.2011
instead of
yourimage.december.20.2011.jpg

Mac

Carole

Hi Mac, have just done what you said, but it has not produced the expected result.

As you can see I label the date much earlier in the file name.  These are in my "Practice folder", where I have been trying out various experiements.  

Files 2,6,7,8,11 & 13 cannot be opened.  None of these have file extensions and yet I saved them as either a TIFF or PSD file. 

Goodness knows what number 8 is (to E mail????)

BTW I am still having problems sometimes even leaving out the dots, same happened last night with a JPEG which I have not had before.

So you think it is a virus?

I have AVG and scans do not show any virus's.

Carole

Mac

looking at everything, for some reason its saving it and sometimes loosing the extension.
Just rename all the ones without the extensions to .tif and they will re-open in photoshop.

Sussed it. :lol:

If i create a new image in photoshop and save it as (whatever, jpeg , tiff, psd)
and call it photo, it creates the image, photo.jpg, photo.tif ect.

if i save it as photo.dec, it saves it as photo .dec and not photo.dec.jpg

So where you are adding the dots in youself, just add the extension again. i.e. .jpg ect
or dont use dots, use the minus sign instead. ;)

Mac.

Carole

Da dah!

Brilliant, it works.

But still doesn't explain why the extension is getting left off in the first place.  I would like to know why, but maybe it's not possible to find a reason.

Many many thanks Mac, it's been a real pain. 

Carole

Mac

QuoteBut still doesn't explain why the extension is getting left off in the first place

because you are adding you own extension.

photo.mac
photo.12th.december.2010
photo.anything

everything after the last. is your extension. which is what you are changing when you name it .dec ect
if you use anything apart from the . then you should be ok.

ps you cant use things like / \ % $ #  ect

Mac