• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New (reconditioned) XP desktop

Started by Carole, Dec 09, 2010, 09:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have been struggling for months with a badly behaving desktop and finally had enough so have bought myself a new re-conditioned one.

I have decided to install AVG this time instead of the Virginmedia PC Guard as that was very slow loading.  

AVG Free Edition 2011 - has Antivirus, antispyware, linkscanner, resident sheild, E mail scanner, update manager, Antirootkit (whatever that is).

Is there anything else I am missing I ought to have?

Carole

doug

Carole..... I have AVG 2011 on my laptop and it is very, very good. And it`s free.  I wil never use any of the bloatware security programmes again, such as Norton, McAfee etc etc. 

Incidentally, SpyBot, which I also use, says that McAfee is a virus ........ howza `bout that?????  :flame:

Doug.  :beer:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

QuoteAntirootkit (whatever that is).

That was developed by sony / the music industry to stop music piracy.
They developed some software that when you inserted a cd to rip the music, this software was installed and stopped you ripping the music..
It then allowed any files / folders starting with a * to be hidden from the operating system, so you and anything else could
not find it. It was very successfully until some virus writers found out about it and then started copying the code to hide their
viruses, these then got the name as root kits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Mac.