• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disaster with Desktop

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2010, 11:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Ian, does Titanium backup contacts as well as APPS?

Fay

Mick, I can only go to the point, that you did last night, and it goes no further
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If you skipped signing in to a Google Account when you first set up your phone, you may encounter problems when using some Google applications. If these problems persist, you may need to factory reset your phone and enter your Google Account details when you set up the phone again. To factory reset your phone, see Performing a factory reset (hard reset).

RobertM

QuoteMick, I can only go to the point, that you did last night, and it goes no further

:o :o :o :o :o

Fay

Robert,

I am surprised at the way your mind works, thought you were conservative      :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony G

Quote from: RobertM on Dec 17, 2010, 20:44:21
QuoteMick, I can only go to the point, that you did last night, and it goes no further

I did see a Campervan there last night. Is this where you 'Discuss' things ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

Quote from: Fay on Dec 17, 2010, 20:26:04
well there's good news and there's bad news.

Good news is yes, it backs up contacts. The bad news is that it requires root.

What phone do you have?

Fay

RobertM

Quote from: Tony G on Dec 17, 2010, 20:58:15
Quote from: RobertM on Dec 17, 2010, 20:44:21

I did see a Campervan there last night. Is this where you 'Discuss' things ;)

Tony G

Don't tell me, the lights were off  :lol:

Ian

Quote from: Fay on Dec 17, 2010, 21:55:41
htc wildfire

less good. It's a bit new for a nice root hack.

However, take a look at mybackup. not as good as titanium, but doesn't need root. You may have to pay for it to restore the contacts though. It's worth checking.

There's also this thread about adding a google account. Unfortunately, that requires you to delete your contacts I think, so you still need to back them up.

Incidentally, if you're on orange they have their own backup app...

mickw

When you try to sign up to google, have you got wi-fi and/or 3g turned on ? 

You do need internet access to get to google.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Quote from: Fay on Dec 17, 2010, 20:26:04
Fay, once you have your Google Account, set up Google Mail (on google via the web) and synchronise your phone contacts with Google contacts (you will need to set up sync in Settings on the phone). You then always have a live copy of your contacts stored on the web, and it's easier to maintain them through Google as well. Easy. You don't need to back them up as you would have done with an older phone like I did with my old Nokia.
QuoteUnfortunately, that requires you to delete your contacts I think, so you still need to back them up.
I didn't have a problem with this.

I believe any apps you download from Market are also remembered by Market so you can download them again if needed.

If you use Google Picassa you can do the same sort of thing with photos.

Ian

I think the problem is, fay hasn't got a gmail account but does have contacts on the phone. So she needs to back them up *before* signing in with google and then restore them. from then on, gmail does the honours with the backups.

Fay

Have just downloaded updated software onto phone, which has now enabled me to open  Google account & get lots of extra apps. Now got Google sky, maps etc etc

Will have to still change the phone as it continues to shut down when camera uses flash.

mickw

Fay, one thing that gets overlooked is that these smart phones eat batteries  :o

Your phone might just be cutting out because the battery is low when you take a flash picture (which uses a far chunk of power).
Try fully charging the phone and then take a flash photo to see if it shuts down then.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional