• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disaster with Desktop

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2010, 11:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

just googled for "ASUS P5S800 VM S" and got this: http://www.palmtechnology.co.uk/store/asus-p5s800-vm-s-socket-775-motherboard.html?___store=default

Are you sure it's the motherboard.  It's unusual for motherboards to go faulty, the most common problem is that the CMOS battery goes.

Did you get your virus issue sorted?

Robert

Fay

well this friend has run every test imaginable & has found a couple of bubbles on motherboard near the graphics card. He tested my drives, power etc with other equipment, but all seems ok. Well He sorted the virus with AVG but it did not sort the problem out. Thanks for that link Robert, will have a look
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Maybe that PC is telling you something - if it's old enough then I think you have to consider your options !

Fay

well wanted to keep XP. Does everthing work ok with Windows 7? Or are there problems with some drivers etc?

mickw

QuoteDoes everthing work ok with Windows 7?

No, but what do you mean by everything ?
Most printers, modems or other common stuff will very likely work, it's only when you start getting into the weird stuff like astro cameras and software, things could get flaky.

Take a look at what you use on the PC, if there is any odd software or hardware you use, look at the manufacturers website to see if they are compatible with W7.

Don't forget XP is still available but be cautious if you get a really high spec PC because that might not work with XP.

Somebody with more experience will give you better advice.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

well, it is looking like this motherboard is a scarcity, I would rather try another board, as they are not too expensive, than go down the road of a new computer. I would just have to reinstall everything. I do have most of the programs on the desktop that I have on the laptop, as I alsoprocess on that one & try different astro things out on it. If i have a camera problem etc, I can try it out on the desktop, so I use it for a lot of things. Big problem if a lot of programs did not work, would give in & just sit in the chair, dribbling, for the rest of my life :lol:

BTW Mick, I went onto a HTC forum, & you have to back up all info & take that phone back to factory settings to be able to get a Google account so APPs can be downloaded..................now why does that not surprise me?????? 

RobertM

Fay, have you been drinking  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fay

Not yet, but I'm thinking of getting blotto now, to numb what is left of the brain!!!!! :!

mickw

QuoteBTW Mick, I went onto a HTC forum, & you have to back up all info & take that phone back to factory settings to be able to get a Google account

No you don't

You need a google email account as we said last night which is a piece of cake - you were almost there last night (when you can get a signal that is), then just go to "Market" and download what you like.

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Dec 17, 2010, 12:59:27
well wanted to keep XP. Does everthing work ok with Windows 7? Or are there problems with some drivers etc?

QSI works well with Windows 7

mickw

QuoteQSI works well with Windows 7

Problem solved then  :lol:

Fay

mick,  you have to sign up to Google when you first get the phone,  or take it back to factory conditions to get an account. Not sure how you backup contacts onto laptop as nothing in the phnes folders

mickw

You've only had it a day, how many changes have you already made ?

You should just be able to backup onto the phones memory card

Have you actually tried to sign up to a google email account ?

Mac

use the internet on your PC to sign up for a google account.

Oh i forgot your PCs' Kerfutten.  :cheesy:

well when its working, just sign up for a google mail account.
and then set up your ~HTC
thats all i did.

Mac.

Ian

get titanium backup on your android phone. Even better if you can give it root access (that's a new thread though...)