• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disaster with Desktop

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2010, 11:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

QuoteDid I unplug what Mick?
All I had plugged in was wireless adaptor & Speedtouch USB. Printer & Scanner always in as well.

All of the above.
At the moment, you only know that something is not working correctly.
If you unplug anything that is not needed by the pc (printer, speedtouch, wireless etc), you can then see if there is a fault on the pc.
So the only things you need to have plugged in is keyboard, mouse, monitor and of course power.
Unplug everything with the power off then restart the system, if the fault is still there, the fault could possibly be the pc.  If the fault is gone, then one of the things you plugged in may be causing the problem.
Plug one of the items back in and restart the pc a couple of times - if it is still ok, plug another item back in and restart etc.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

As said.
Start the computer in safe mode with only the keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged in. (preferably wired devices and not wireless)

Once the pc is up and running do the following.
Run scan disk on the c drive.
Right mouse click the c drive ( from windows explorer), select properties; select tools; click on error checking; make sure the fix system errors is ticked.

When that has finished (depends on the length of string) run your antiviruses.
Assuming all of that is clear,
re-boot your system and allow it to start normally.

Once this has loaded, shut down and plug in things one by one and reboot.
The one that is causing the problem will stop it from booting.

If on the first normall boot it dosent boot corectly
go back to the safe mode boot options and select logged, this will create a text file showing what its trying to load.
Then try and copy and paste the last 10-20 lines here.

Mac

Fay

ok, taken it all on board. Will only have wireless receiver in, as that runs the keyboard & mouse, have to have them.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Quoteok, taken it all on board. Will only have wireless receiver in, as that runs the keyboard & mouse, have to have them.

Start the computer in safe mode with only the keyboard, mouse and monitor plugged in.

(preferably wired devices and not wireless)

As they might not work in safe mode, that's all. ;)
so you could find yourself with another problem of the keyboard and mouse not working in safe mode.

Mac.

Fay

I've only got wireless. They did work in Safe Mode this morning

Mac

Thats ok then,
did it reboot normally after that?

Fay

I was in safe mode, it seemed ok, Turned it all off again & it started ok

Fay

Chris came around from work. He has set up wireless with the two laptops, & updated lots of things on the desktop. Not 100% what the cause of the problem is, but keeping an eye on it, running AVG at the moment, see how it goes.

Fay

Result of AVG scan     Infection Trojan Horse start page!!!
Moved to Virus Vault

Rocket Pooch

Ok desk top supporters here the technical update.

There was nothing wrong with USB's, what was plugged in and what was running on it.  But there are a few issues as follows;

Firstly the screen drivers and graphics card drivers were old and wrong, possible just life.

The screen goes alseep when nothing happens on the PC, on re-start sometimes the PC is not starting properly, this is either a driver or a hard drive issue, I have setup some login and we will look at this next week.

We replaces the existing virus scanner with AVG, the Symantec one is awful and slow.

Wireless network needed a password, no need for mains networking Fay walked down the garden with the laptop.

But the new wireless router is dropping the signal a bit, one to fix later.

So nearly there.  And boy XP is slow!

Fay

will not start at all today, only  safe mode. I thought that once AVG had quaranteed the trojan it would have been ok, but seems not that simple

Rocket Pooch

It must be grumpy, ok will call you later.

Fay

thanks Chris. Please call landline as, would you believe, mobile not working. Has a look of cracked glass,but not. Can wireless signal do anything to it

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

No fay it wont be the wireless.

Chris

Fay

Well it seems I need a new motherboard. Does anyone know where I can ge the following:

ASUSP5S800-VM/S

If i can get this one then all my info on the drives can be saved

I must thank Chris for sorting my wireless, without that i would have been lost at this time.