• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Disaster with Desktop

Started by Fay, Dec 08, 2010, 11:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Signed off ok last night. This morning, would not come up correctly,so had to redo. Screen had odd pattern also welcomr to XP box. Screen wanted me to mess about with these two clocks, to rid these stripes, not seen this before. Restarted computer, and screen black, lights not on on the wireless receiver for mouse and keyboard. Took screen to PC world, screen ok. HE SAID NEEDS ALL DATA TAKING OFF & RE INSTALLING EVERYTHING.

He could be wrong. I have 2 hard drives on there and backed up one to the other about 2 weeks ago. I thnk XP recovery may be on computer as no Packard Bell disc.
Have sensitive info on there so do't want PC world having it.

Please if anyone can give advice Or help me sort  it out, I will pay. Needless to say, I am in panic mode. I have not been messing about with it.

I am on laptop, so not so easy to come online.

Thanks

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Have you  unplugged everything that you plugged in yesterday ?

I'm thinking you plugged your router into a socket that you didn't know if it was the right one.

Better still, unplug everything except keyboard and mouse (and power) and try rebooting again.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

You will not believe this..............................well, you will
The power button on top of the screen, was turned off......................................thing is, why did it play up this morning? The screen could not have been turned off as I had not used it since last night.

PC WORLD WOULD HAVE WIPED MY DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, the mouse/receiver light was still not on, and it would not connect to internet.  I have taken them out of their mutual hub & plugged in separately, so thinking there could be a problem with the hub, could that have upset the applecart?

Mac

QuoteHE SAID NEEDS ALL DATA TAKING OFF & RE INSTALLING EVERYTHING
Crap.

QuotePC WORLD WOULD HAVE WIPED MY DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup thats all they can do.

The main reason is it would probably take them years to find the problem,
the quickest way is as above, wipe and reinstall.

If they want to do that you are better off buying a new hard disk,
installing xp afresh and then copy over all the stuff you want.

I dont think we installed hyperos on to your desktop did we?

Mac

mickw

Fay the screen could have been turned off by PC world.
You were poking around with wires and plugs yesterday at the back of the PC - you could have loosened the screen plug and if there was a loose contact that could explain all the weird stuff this morning.
Try and put everything back the way it was yesterday before the router experiments - and do it SLOWLY and CAREFULLY.

The lights might not be on the keyboard/mouse hub because they may need to be re-registered to the hub - there's usually a tiny button underneath somewhere that you press when the PC is on.
You'll know if it's working because you can move the mouse cursor around.

Fay

No Mac we didn't

Well bottom line is what caused the problem in the first place & lesson learnt BACK UP to external drive every week!!!!!!!!

Mac

QuoteBACK UP to external drive every week

Why.

Unless the hard disk is dead then everything on it is available.
Mac.

mickw

QuoteUnless the hard disk is dead then everything on it is available.

Not if PCWorld get their mits on it  :-?

Fay

Well I back up the C to the D, as two hard drives on desktop. What if one goes down & takes the other with it?

Also, how do I do a screen print?
Thanks

Mac

QuoteWhat if one goes down & takes the other with it?

How?

unless its a virus and totally wipes everything.

One hard disk failing wont affect the other (assuming two hard disks)
if the d partition is on the same disk, then yes if the disk fails you will probably loose everything.

QuoteAlso, how do I do a screen print?
:cheesy:

or press the print screen button,
open paint and then press Ctrl+v
Mac

Fay

Fay

I am on a wing and a prayer with the computer. When closing down last night said it had recovered from critical error, I have copied the error codes. This morning would not open, had coloured blocks along the bottom of screen, i closed it down & opened in Safe Mode, then closed again & opened normally.

I can't copy & past the error codes.

BCCode:10000007e BCP1:C0000005 BCP2: 804EF196 BCP3: BA5278EC BCP4: BA 5275E8 OSVER: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product: 768-1

c.\DOCUME~1\fay\Locals~1\Temp\WER c358.dir 00\Mini 120810-01. dmp
"      "      "      "        "    "      "   "      "           "     sysdata.xml

Hope someone knows what this means, & if anyone can help, I am ok to pay.

Thanks

mickw

Did you unplug everything and is the message above appearing with everything unplugged ?

Fay

Did I unplug what Mick?

All I had plugged in was wireless adaptor & Speedtouch USB. Printer & Scanner always in as well.

RobertM

Sounds like there is a resource conflict with the wireless adaptor or Speed touch USB.  Did it happen on first restart after adding the wireless adaptor ?

BTW. What do you mean by 'Printer and Scanner always in as well' ?

I would offer to come and have a look but I've so much on at the moment I might not be able to get over till after the w/e.

Robert