• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42

Started by Jim, Nov 11, 2010, 11:57:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

First attempt with my new setup. Have upgraded the Sphinx mount with the NexSXD motor board which turns it into a celestron. What a difference, tracking is nice and smooth now and there's a lot more functionality in the software.

Meade 127ED
QSI 583 CCD
Ha filter (6nm)
19 x 60 secs

Kept it simple so no guiding, darks, bias or flats. Stacked in Nebulosity, stretched in FITS liberator.

RobertM

What a lovely start Jim !  The camera seems to be doing the business and 6nm filter is a good compromise.  You should get some top results from that kit now especially the mount is now sorted.

Since you seem to have got everything else right I think you could be a bit less aggressive with the black point.  That whole background region has nebulosity so should be a lot lighter.

Great first light, I'm looking forward to the colour version now !

Robert

Fay

That is fantastic Jim!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Wow!!   :o

What a difference Jim. Great image. can't wait to see what you will do once the guiding is turned ON !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

That's a lovely image Jim, the balance between the outer nebulosity and inner core is fantastic!

Makes me want one of those 6nm Ha filters myself, but alas my hyperstar would never stand for it!

Daniel
:O)

mickw

Nice work Jim
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Thanks all for your kind comments. I have a lot to learn still but am taking Roberts advice to start simple and learn one thing at a time!

MarkS

That's a very nice image you've got there Jim.

It certainly proves everything is working.

Now all you need is a few cloud-free, mist-free nights.  Unfortunately, Mac is just about to build an observatory  :(

Rocket Pooch

Jim,

With your kit you should do better, no excuses now :-)

Chris

P.S. Nice first light.

Fay

Have you the built in filter wheel Jim?

Rocket Pooch

Yes he has, you know you want one!!!!

Fay

PhilB

Buy it now, Fay. Before the VAT increase.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

QuoteHELP!!!

Fay, you're well beyond that ! Anyway have you got any money left after the leather sleeping bag  :lol:

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

Buy it but it, look how nice and smooth Jim's image is, its excellent and better than your images, and yet he really is not as good as you.  Imagine the results you will get.

Chris