• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

December DSC

Started by mickw, Nov 04, 2010, 17:22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I have asked for 3rd to 5th December - watch this space
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

With the issues of mud, and power only in certain areas which require you to travel into the field, wouldn't it be better to maybe consider Blacklands on occasions like this, which has hardstand all around and the facilities (free) are within easy reach.
Only a suggestion ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

I agree but - I think Blacklands is also "closed" but without the "open" option - November to February I think

*Correction*
This is old news !

http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/news_41142.html

There doesn't seem to be anything about closures this year - Thoughts anyone ?

Plus they've got the bird in the shower  :o

MarkS

I was in the usual spot - I put my tent in the area nearby the fire extinguisher.  But I parked too close to the trees ands overnight the car sank into a "spongy bit".

Personally, I don't mind going back there but Mick will never make it, so Blacklands might be the better choice for Winter camps.

Tony G

If I remember Blacklands was only closed for 1 month of the year.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

We do have the option of putting the cars on the gravely bit near the toilets out of season with tents just inside the field. That way cars, even Micks caravan, won't get bogged down.

Lights from nearby caravans may be an issue but I doubt it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

All the caravans will be empty in january
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

If we were to set up near the gravel car park there will be a better view of the South and West skies, North and East will be restricted by the trees (similar to the restrictions in our preferred position S and W).

If the house to the South turn their floodlights on - there will be a white out.  I have only seen them turned on once.

Mike

Just bring an air rifle - that will solve that problem.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Well I feel vindicated a bit, I said this campsite turns into a bog, I went there twice with the Subaru and on the second time October the car nearly got stuck after little rain, no idear what its going to be like next week.

Also the river isn't going to help with mist etc.

Having said that the chip shop and the railway cafe is great, so maybe summer camps can be done at Rother Valley because they do not let it get too busy.  Also it is dark.

There are still a few sites I have never got too which are open all year some with hard standing.  I'll have a look at them again.

Chris

Mike

So what are our choices for winter DSCs if Blacklands is closed ? Any ideas?

mickw

I'll contact Blacklands to find out if they are actually closing.

mickw

Had a reply from Blacklands -

They are open all year  :)

Fay

Mike's imaging session may have to be changed
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw