• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory project

Started by Rocket Pooch, Oct 31, 2010, 17:16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hello,

Ok since leaving London and comming down into the dark site I have, I really miss my observatory, so I'm making a MK2 version, I have set a budget of £250, lets see how it goes.  I should be up and running shortly after next DSC :-)

Chris

Mac

MarkS

£250?

Very interested to see what you come up with ...

PhilB

What on earth are you going to build it out of? When I priced up my first design it cost more than that in timber alone.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

There was some-one on UKAI who was building one from a metal Argos shed which had a roof that could be slid off and I believe that was about £250.  Wonder if Chris has the same idea?

If I had seen that idea before I bought mine I could have saved myself a packet.

http://www.almiraobservatory.co.uk/
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/metal-garden-sheds

Carole

Mike

I'm sure Paul's observatory would have cost about that, if not less.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

The MK1 was an 8' by 7'10" metal shed with a roll off roof, it worked really well and it cost about £400 all in for the shed and bit, except the pier and concrete.

I have bought second hand 6x6 plastic shed £150, its going to be put on rollers, so all I need to do is build a base and runners, like Olly's observatories, then the whole thing will roll off.

Simple really and I can move it if needed.

Chris

PhilB

Quote from: Carole on Oct 31, 2010, 19:47:28
There was some-one on UKAI who was building one from a metal Argos shed which had a roof that could be slid off and I believe that was about £250.

I've looked at this. Just buying the shed isn't the end of the matter. The roof is an integral part of the structure and you effectively have to cut it off in order to make it slide. As a result the whole building needs to be stiffened - and the total cost goes up.

Chris, looking forward to some images of this. Sounds like a runner subject to things such as weight and anchoring.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

I would have thought there would be a big condensation problem with a metal shed.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

No there not if you keep the air moving in the shed, I did not have any issues before, I used to put the roof on the kit was soaking and it would dry out.

I'll be putting a solar fan on this one to keep the air moving...

Chris

RobertM

Sounds like a good plan.  That fan might also help keep it cool in the summer as those plastic sheds (like most others) can get like ovens that time of year.

Robert

Mac

QuoteI'll be putting a solar fan on this one to keep the air moving...

hmmmmm solar in this climate, i would think a wind turbine would be a safer bet :cheesy:

PhilB

Quote from: Fay on Nov 01, 2010, 11:43:10
I would have thought there would be a big condensation problem with a metal shed.

Most outbuildings have condensation problems. I know of a workshop built from insulated building blocks where the humidity hits 90%+ in the winter!

The design currently on my drawing-board has a timber frame with metal cladding - or, if you prefer, it's a metal shed!

Rocket Pooch

Ok, I have priced up the wood, looks about £45 with the nails etc, if only DSC was not in the way I might get it up this weekend  :o

Fay

You still might get it up, Rocket, as I think it may be raining..............
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!