• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bodes Galaxy

Started by mickw, Oct 11, 2010, 23:21:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Bodes Galaxy M81, Cigar Galaxy M82 with NGC 3077
Burgess 91 600mm f6.6 - Unmodded Canon 350D - Unguided
25 x 120s exposures @ iso 800
Lights, Darks, Flats & Bias stacked in DSS
Levels & Curves PS Elements

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

now your just showing off. 8)

there looks like a bit more data in there,

Mac

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
there looks like a bit more data in there,

Agreed.  There is more data in most of them I think.  The 8bit PS Elements is doing you no favours - especially noticeable in the Andromeda Galaxy - where the brightness gradient is not smooth.  The whole processing chain needs to be done in 16bit for the best results.

Mark

mickw

QuoteThe 8bit PS Elements is doing you no favours

Time for an upgrade methinks

Reading the instructions might help  :oops:

Thanks for the comments and advice

RobertM

I agree with the other comments, you's need more bits - Photoshop CS or the like.  PS7 was only 8bit colour.

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
I agree with the other comments, you's need more bits - Photoshop CS or the like.  PS7 was only 8bit colour.

The other option is to learn IRIS!  Duncan and I are both IRIS fans.

mickw

QuoteThe other option is to learn IRIS!

a)   I'm scared  :(
b)   Nebulosity seems to be changing actual camera settings to take only JPEG  :-?

Fay

Was this the one, where, everyone was sitting around drinking & you were the only one imaging, at a table with 30 bottles on it    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done Mick
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Well, what can I say. All great images at the weekend....................ARE THEY YOURS!!!!!!!!!!
Did you find someone's camera lying around, or subscribe to a magazine with pull out images.

Seriously, some great shots ;), and I'll be sitting closer to you to see how you do it, as I'm getting fed up with with focusing on Vega, on my own at the other end of the field. :-?

Keep up the good work. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

QuoteWas this the one, where, everyone was sitting around drinking & you were the only one imaging, at a table with 30 bottles on it

No, that was M31 - which probably explains a lot    :-? 

Tony, I shan't say this again, Pear Cider is nowhere as efficient as Stella for astro photography  :roll: 

mickw

Tried another reprocess

Better/Worse ?

Fay

I think it is better, smoother, better detail
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

doug

Bloody showing orft nah, ain`t cha??   :)

I`m only jealous, Mick.  I stuck the Sony on an outside table when I was in Dorset, took a shot for 30s @ 3200 ISO and got an image of Cassiopeia, the Double Cluster and M31; all very small but there.  I`ll show you the printed picture next Thursday, as my attempts at putting an image on the Forum are a no-no.  :o

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Blimey Mick, I missed this one.  You've started imaging with avengeance.  M45, M31, M81, M82 and that's only the ones that I remember.  And all without guiding.

Definitely more data in this to be pulled out.  I've not got as far as tackling these two myself yet. 

Well done.

Carole