• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orion's belt widefield

Started by RobertM, Oct 22, 2010, 22:04:49

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well it's almost widefield!

This image shows the area around the Horsehead and Flame nebulas in Ha.  The image has been processed to bring out as much of the background nebulosity as possible (so it may look a bit over processed).  The three bright stars running diagonally are the belt in the Constellation of Orion.  I need many more sub-exposures to complete this!

Amazing how much better an image is when you manage to focus it properly !

2x2 binned version: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/5105324795_f23cea42b6_o.jpg

Capture details:
Exposure: 12 x 600s (120mins) Baader Ha 7nm
Camera: FLI ML 8300 @-30C
Optics: Canon 200L lens @ f/3.2
Conditions: Clear but Moon near full
Sky Magnitude: approx 3.5
Date: 21/10/2010
Guiding: Lodestar + converted 50mm finder

TFL
Robert

Tony G

Robert

Absolutely spectacular! One of the best images, I can hosently say, that I've seen on this forum by one of our members.
Excellent image.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Absolutely stunning ! Just wished you did more stuff like this in colour ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

:o

That is fantastic.

so when is your full sky survey starting then.

I take it your probably planning to do the whole of orion in Ha to include Barnards loop?
Especially if you are getting detail like that.

MarkS

Robert,

That is a truly a stunning image.  It is remarkable to see so much faint nebulosity in the background.  I find it amazing that you managed to image this very faint background just 2 days away from the full moon.  And you must have been imaging at around 4-5am!

When will you do the lower pane of this future mosaic ;-)

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Very nice, looking forward to the mosaic and colour.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Quote from: Mac on Oct 23, 2010, 03:21:53
:o
I take it your probably planning to do the whole of orion in Ha to include Barnards loop?
Especially if you are getting detail like that.

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 31, 2010, 10:57:10
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100831.html

What a coincidence with todays APOD. APOD checked our website, and were astonished at the great image that Mark had taken, and so set about trawling through their archives to find an image to match or better that of Mark, but to no avail.

Great image again Mark, and I still believe yours is a better image. ;)

Tony G

APOD have done it again today, and followed by example, as they did a few weeks ago, with one of our images.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap101023.html
They should rename this OASPOD. ;)

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Daniel

WOW! Robert that is just stunning, Imaging at 7nm really makes that detail pop out, Just Love it!!  :)

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

That APOD image is one of the most expertly processed images I have seen in a long time. 
Really beautiful.

MarkS

Quote from: Daniel
Imaging at 7nm really makes that detail pop out, Just Love it!!  :)

Definitely.  I must get one of those Baader 7nm to replace my Astronomik 12nm.

RobertM

Thanks for all the very kind comments.  It's very strange the way a target of opportunity came out this well.  I was imaging IC63 and had left the mount taking images but woke up at about 3am with visions of a wrecked mount and couldn't get back to sleep!  I went downstairs and since the imaging run was nearly over I looked for something else to use up the available hours... I didn't even refocus since it was minus temperature outside and I was in my jim jams.  That night was especially clear and improved in the early hours as the moon started to go down.

I was extremely surprised myself how well it came out considering and I'm very glad you like it.

Mac, the plan is for a two pane mosaic with M42 in narrow band when I get the filters changed over.  A mosaic of the whole of Banards loop will take a long time (I still have a Cygnus mosaic to stitch together) but never say never !! 

I would agree about the APOD, its a real stunner and expertly processed; it's all about good data - just look where he took it from !!!  I just looked at his web site... sighhhh... makes you want to give up !!!

Daniel/Mark, after changing over from 13nm to 7nm my background counts have gone right down and transformed what I can take on from home.  3nm would be ideal but the prices aren't plus there would also be bandpass problems because of the fast focal ratio.  The Baaders have minimal shift and reflections so they were my first choice.

Robert

Carole

Fay

Robert, that is a truly lovely image, especially as it was an afterthought!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Whitters

Wow Eobert, what a fantastic image. Stunning detail. One to build on over the winter. Just read you are planning to build a mosaic, you must do that, it's a wonderful image.