• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

November DSC

Started by MarkS, Oct 22, 2010, 10:20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Thanks for that Mark

The good entrance means you can get in but can't get out  ;)

I think the problem is the rain and poor drainage (at the moment)

In October it was about 50:50 rain during the week before, this weekend it has been raining nearly every day for over a week.  If by a stroke of luck there is no rain during the week prior to December DSC, I think the ground will stand a good chance of dryng out.

Failing that there's always the hope for permafrost  :-?

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Some pictures:

You can see the tents of everyone who came:

Unbelievable I couldn't reverse out (front wheels had sunk into spongy ground)

Breakfast!

Newenden public firework display - seen from site.

Imaging (& drinking) at last!

Fay

Great pictures Mark. Such a lonely little tent, but I know you were ok as you still had your famous breakfast. Fireworks looked a bit near
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

No wonder you look so sickly  :(

You need a bigger pan so you can have a proper breakfast  ;)

Tony G

Mark,

If there was no one else down there, why did you cook breakfast for 8 people? :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

It's because he missed his chums  :cry:

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
I was outside for a while, last night & conditions were similar, Still drying out equipment, & was only out there a round an hour or two.

Interesting - maybe the damp and mist was a more general than just Rother Valley then.  But I do think the river makes it worse.

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Does the little mobile phone symbol next to Marks entry show that he's posting from a mobile site, and if so at least shows he's not kidding us from home.

Interesting - what does the mobile symbol mean?
What I do know is that I only had access to a stripped down, simplified version of the forum on my Blackberry.

The Thing

It was very foggy and smoky in Beckenham last night. I could still see a few stars and Jupiter out the bedroom window, but at in the garden I could hardly see the pond, it would have been damp and extremely dewy.

mickw

Quotemaybe the damp and mist was a more general than just Rother Valley then.  But I do think the river makes it worse

Quite likely because it's settling into lower ground, a bit further away from the river may be clearer

Quotewhat does the mobile symbol mean

I think it must be a Blackberry thing, I sent a message straight from my Pulse and the symbol was the same as normal

Fay

Tony & Mick, you are so funny regarding Mark's frying pan & breakfast       :lol: :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

I see you had plenty of fuel to keep you going ;)  but I agree with Mick, you definitely need a bigger frying pan !

Robert