• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseus Double Cluster and comet Hartley 071010

Started by Fay, Oct 12, 2010, 16:32:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This was taken on friday, so misty we could not see each other, but we all carried on imaging, as up was visible!

This was 24x300 WPZS66, o.85fr, Canon 350D

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

wow, that amazing how much the comet has moved in that time.

Loads of stars :o

are you going to do the comet stack as well?

Fay

Well, I do not have that on my version at the moment, not sure where it has gone as I have used it before, but not sure if I liked the result.

I will fish around & try it out.

The stars do space out as the image gets larger

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

mickw

Great stuff Fay
The only one to see let alone image the comet
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Well done to get that comet Fay - conditions were not at all good that night.  Alongside the double cluster it looks really good.

A lot of the background noise would disappear if you use some darks (taken at the same temperature as that night).

Mark

RobertM

Great image Fay, I've been looking forward to seeing this one.  Could be my contact lenses but the stars look a tad green, otherwise it looks good to me.

Robert

Fay

Do you think this is better, not over processed

MarkS

Fay,

It looks like the double cluster is burnt out :-(
But you can take some more frames of double cluster any day to fix that.

What the image needs is more range scaling (e.g. asinh or multiple application of curves) to tone down the stars whilst keeping the comet's glow bright.

Mark

Fay

Thanks Mark. I am not happy with either of these images, shame, but there you go

RobertM

The stars are less green now.  I'd rebalance the colours then try to bring out the comet with scaling as Mark has suggested, perhaps some DDP would help there?

Robert

Daniel

Fantastic capture Fay, must have a go at this one myself, you've framed it really nicely with the double cluster

:O)