• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bubble nebula

Started by Rocket Pooch, Oct 10, 2010, 17:03:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

For thos who went to DSC this weekend on Friday, it was not pretty, very very foggy 98% humidity and mist from the river.  Take with my Meade 8" ARC with a .67 AP Reducer working at about F7 giving 1.4 meters focal length.

I did manage to get 16x10 minutes Ha on the bubble nebula, not very good due to the conditions.

FogBuvbble by chrissuddell, on Flickr

PhilB

Still a rather nice image though
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

nice capture,

Did it clear up on saturday night?

Rocket Pooch

Well it was really bad till 2am, only Julian stayed up, tonight looks perfect but very windy, should be ok for short focal length images, I however have bagged my scope at home and will stay in tonight, its really windy here :-(

MarkS

Looks very good Chris in spite of the adverse conditions.  If the conditions had been better that would be an outstanding picture.

Do you have a crop of the middle of the image at full size?  The quick preview you showed me at DSC had some really good detail because of the good seeing (even though the transparency was bad).

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I have processed a version without darks, here it is, click on it to take you to a full size version.

Chris

Bubble Med K-Sig by chrissuddell, on Flickr

RobertM

That's a really great result Chris especially hearing what the conditions were like that night.  Nice pointy stars and good focus too.  Have you plans to add more exposures?

ps. your latest version shows a "Photo is currently unavailable" on the forum !

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Ok this should work, when I do some -20c 10 minute subs I'll do it again with BIAS and Darks applied to bring out the detail, this is the origional median stack from Saturday.

Robert, I did this just to test the 8" ARC with the QSI, it looks like they are a good match so I might do some more subs, but what I'm swapping back to is galaxy imaging which is what I enjoy the most, so its likely all the shorter FL scopes will go.

Chris

Tony G

Great image, and looking back on it you captured this quicker than I focused on Vega :oops:, I blame that spiked drink which made my aluminium mug 2mm thinner in thickness, and if you remember MarkS didn't get no good images on Saturday night, the night he had the spiked polski stuff. :-?

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

QuoteMarkS didn't get no good images on Saturday night, the night he had the spiked polski stuff.

I guess that would that also have something to do with the strange wolf like noises eminating from from the direction of his tent earlier in the evening  ;)

MarkS

I've never encountered such dewy conditions - water running everywhere.

My SCT fogged up on the inside and the Jupiter AVI produced isn't very good quality because the seeing wasn't that good.

With the Tak I got 4 or 5 subs of IC63 before the mist rolled in.  I stupidly put the cap on the tube which trapped the moisture inside and fogged up the primary, the secondary and the IR/UV filter.  I failed to notice this before continuing later in the evening. So I ended up with 4 or 5 bad subs and 12 terrible subs!

If I hadn't drank the spiked Polski stuff I sure I wouldn't have made such a silly error!

The only good image I got was a table full of coloured bottles of drink taken the following morning!

Mark

mickw

Quotespiked polski stuff

Bunch of babies  :twisted:

Great image Chris, I guess our plan worked  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Chris, that is a superb Bubble, a lot of clarity even with a bad sky!!!! What would it have been like on a clear night??????????????????
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Oct 11, 2010, 19:22:58
Chris, that is a superb Bubble, a lot of clarity even with a bad sky!!!! What would it have been like on a clear night??????????????????

Better I guess :-(

MarkS

In the full size image, the stars at the top left look a bit strange - it possibly just needs a tweak on the collimation.  I think your setup will work very nicely as a galaxy imager.

Mark