• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Clear Patch Tonight (Mon 4 October)

Started by MarkS, Oct 04, 2010, 10:45:10

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

There will be a clear spell tonight - Skippy Sky indicates it could contain reasonably stable air.  Jupiter's GRS will cross it's central meridian at 9pm (BST).

Rocket Pooch

It should be good because its forecast mist and fog and nothing moving about a lot...

MarkS

Oh well - it was worth a punt but it never really worked out - the seeing never got good - large scale distortions continually weaving across Jupiter.  Off to bed.

Mac

well its 1am, and the mist has dropped out, and the skies are fantastically clear and still. :cheesy:

Pity I;'ve just got back from cornwall, otherwise i would have set up.
always the way. :roll:

Mac.

RobertM

QuoteOh well - it was worth a punt but it never really worked out - the seeing never got good - large scale distortions continually weaving across Jupiter.

Same for me.  I wasn't sure whether it was the scope, conditions or both but seeing was realy bad and I gave up at 10:30.  For comparison Mark could you post an average frame please.  I'm still wondering if I've got this MN190 collimation sorted so it would be nice to have a comparison.

btw. I think a lot of that turbulence is caused by central heating systems that people are starting to turn on.

Robert

MarkS

Robert,

It was so bad that I didn't even bother to capture an AVI so I can't produce an average frame but it would look rubbish.  Even if your MN190 were badly collimated you would never be able to tell from last light.

Mark

Fay

Sort of glad to hear that, as I was baby sitting & was a bit fed up when I saw the clear sky. However, as the dew was so heavy, I did have doubts
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!