• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comparison in image procssing techniques

Started by Rocket Pooch, Apr 22, 2004, 07:38:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I've spent some time listening to people about image processing over the past month or two with the intension of finding out the best way to process my images for planetary shots.  I've come up with the following method where I think good images can be obtained even when the viewing is not good as follows: -

Firstly have a look through an eyepiece, if the image is moving around a lot you will not be able to use high power barlows.

To focusing on something like Saturn or Jupiter focus on one of the planets moons or a bright star, not the planet itself this will then give you a sharp pin prick, its harder to focus on a large moving ball.

Set the web cam to 5FPS and turn compression off.

For Jupiter take AVIs no longer than 1 minute 20 seconds.  Saturn take the image for as long as you like.

Now I talked to Ian and he suggested a mixture of K3CCD and Registax for the processing so this is what I've tried.

Process using the wizard in K3 using about the top 60-75 frames.  When the application has finished save as FITS.

Load the FITS into Registax stretch the level, stack them then do the wavelet filter, I use the 1st, 5th and 6th slider.  Get as much detail out of the image.  Now lower the contrast, set the brightness to where you want it then check the histogram, you should have a nice curv.

Go into Final and turn the saturation up quite a bit and tweak the Hue and Lightness to get the final result.

If you get the image to grainy, either turn the Wavelett filter down or apply a Gaussian Blur in Photoshop to smooth the image.

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-04-21 23:39 ]

Mike

Definately more detail coming out withthe first method. Very nice. Thanks for passing on the info. A lot of guys guard their techniques like they were the Holy Grail.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

I would like to echo Mike's thoughts.
Nice One.

JohnP

Hi Chris,

You have certainly been very busy in the last week or so  Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, M13..... Looks like you are really getting to grips with your new SCT & camera's. The goto must make it a dream to use. I really like your reprocessed Jupiter using the K3/Registax technique - it's definitely made a vast improvement to the image. If I get a chance to image (hopefully soon.....) I'll give it a try. You'll have to try some of the more challenging deepsky stuff once the floodlights go out :smile:

Cheers,  John.