• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Crescent Nebula - NGC6888

Started by RobertM, Aug 24, 2010, 13:43:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

This is a quick test to ensure that everything works together for next weeks trip.  I could have brought the black level up a bit but it was a rough process - no flats/bias or darks and just a single pass of digital development in maximdl.

Capture details:
Camera ML8300 + Baader 7nm Ha filter, 12 x 300s binned 2 x 2 (set point -30C)
Scope: Skywatcher MN190 1000mm@f5.3 with Moonlite focuser (which just about copes)
Guiding: piggybacked finder scope and SX guider, 3s subs dithered 1 pixel.

TFL

Fay

Very nice Robert, it's going to be a lens orientated trip!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Rick

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Aug 24, 2010, 15:09:12
Nice image scale.
...but please link to huge images and post smaller ones in the forum. Monsters like this are utterly impractical on mobiles (even 3G ones), and at the scales normal users use they get wrapped in scroll bars by the forum anyway, thus hiding most of the image...  :boom:

Rocket Pooch

Told you it was a nice image scale :-)

RobertM

Sorry Rick, it was the only one I could get to.  I'll post a more friendly version when I get home....

Rick

That's OK. ;) I wasn't actually needing to check things using the mobile today. That said, displayed at full pixel-for-pixel size it is somewhat bigger than my largest monitor... ;)

mickw

Quotepixel-for-pixel size it is somewhat bigger than my largest monitor.

So when will you be getting a bigger monitor then  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Here's the image flattened a bit to reduce the sky gradient and take the black point up a bit.

First a version to fit on Ricks monitor ;-)

The one I should have posted:

and a link to the full size 2x2 binned version (1663 x 1252 pixels): http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4924282084_fe2b373464_o.jpg

Rocket Pooch

Well hopefully your out of the dog house now, I like the little image, its great, you just need to add some diffractions spikes to it.

Tony G

Quote from: RobertM on Aug 24, 2010, 13:43:12
This is a quick test to ensure that everything works together for next weeks trip.

Well I done a little mosaic in the garden last night, to test my camera as well, for France.
Hopefully it may well come out a bit better with dark skies as I don't know anything at present about darks and flats.

My image.  :roll:

Some of you may be saying to yourselves 'that's a bloody hubble image' and I would agree with you all that it is very similar in all aspects, but for the fact of the orientation, and thats where we (Hubble and I) differ.

Hubbles Image.

:D :D :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Excellent result for such short imaging time from a light polluted location.  
Looks like it's all working pretty well.  
Nice sharp stars from corner to corner.

Mark

Rick

Tony, I'm seeing a "This photo is currently unavailable" graphic...

Robert, thanks for the mobiile-phone-sized version. ;)

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Aug 24, 2010, 20:46:59
Excellent result for such short imaging time from a light polluted location.  
Looks like it's all working pretty well.  
Nice sharp stars from corner to corner.

Mark
Mark,

I take it you were referring to Roberts image, as there is a corner missing on my image. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

Quote from: Rick on Aug 24, 2010, 20:51:49
Tony, I'm seeing a "This photo is currently unavailable" graphic...

I'm able to see it on my monitor and previewed it prior to posting, and there didn't seem to be any problems. Can anyone else see the images.

Tony G